Mark BradleyMark Bradley

This blog has moved! Yes, already!

As of Thursday, Feb. 12, this little blog has relocated to a new home on AJC.com. It’s the same newspaper, the same Web site and the same writer (feel free to groan) — there’s just a new URL.

New features: Bigger type, more graphics, comments that load 10 times faster and a larger and more recent photo that makes me look pretty doggone old. I think you’ll like it (the blog, not the photo). But I am, as we know too well, often wrong.

Home > Mark Bradley > Archives > 2009 > January > 18 > Entry

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Is it time for Felton to go?

Athens — Hailed as a breakthrough, it was just a blip. Georgia won the SEC basketball tournament on a tempest-tossed weekend, and 10 months later it’s as if it never happened. The Bulldogs are as pedestrian as ever.

On Sunday, they fell to 9-9 by losing to an unranked Kentucky team so emphatically that it seemed worse than it was. “We shouldn’t be losing by 30 points,” said forward Terrance Woodbury, speaking of a game that ended 68-45.

Stegeman Coliseum was only three-quarters full, and 35 percent of those in attendance wore Kentucky blue. Afterward, Dennis Felton levied the same criticism at his team he had 51 weeks earlier after a 26-point loss at Tennessee — “We did not compete with the kind of toughness we needed; it was a very soft effort,” he said Sunday. And the question arises: Just what will it take to change these moribund dynamics?

The answer, sad to say, is a new coach.

Hired in April 2003 to sweep up after Jim Harrick, Felton hasn’t yet had a 20-win season or a winning record in SEC play. (His record in regular-season conference games is 26-57.) He has made the NCAA tournament only once. And, if he hadn’t made it when he did, a different man would surely be coaching Georgia today.

It’s time now to give a different man — Dayton’s Brian Gregory, say — that chance. Felton has five seasons plus 18 games, and it just hasn’t worked. On Sunday, the Bulldogs made as many turnovers (19) as baskets, and they didn’t manage their 40th point until the game’s 37th minute. On the week, the Bulldogs managed 85 points in two games; Kentucky’s Jodie Meeks had 76 by himself.

And therein lies the greatest indictment of Felton: Meeks played at Norcross, same as Gani Lawal and Al-Farouq Aminu. Not one signed with Georgia’s flagship school. On Wednesday, Derrick Favors of South Atlanta, considered the nation’s No. 1 recruit, chose Tech over Georgia. This state produces a slew of big-time talent, and somehow little of it lands in Athens.

It was understandable that Felton would struggle to sign players in the post-Harrick years, but Harrick has been gone from Georgia longer than Bill Self has been coaching Kansas. Felton has had time, and now his sixth Bulldog team looks only slightly more polished than his second, which finished 8-20.

“We knew this team was going to be significantly different from last year’s,” Felton said. “That was apparent going in. We’re relying on new players as much as anybody in the country.”

Georgia lost three starters from the team that won the SEC title, but it wasn’t as if any of the three was a lottery pick. (Seniors Sundiata Gaines and Dave Bliss weren’t drafted.) The latest starting five includes Corey Butler, who arrived as a walk-on. Put bluntly, a coach on his sixth season shouldn’t still be relying on spare parts. But that, due to egregious attrition and a lack of recruiting success, has become a Felton trademark.

Asked if he felt his job was again in peril, Felton said: “I’m not having any discussion about my employment except when I talk with my employers.”

Said athletics director Damon Evans, asked to assess Felton’s program: “There’s still basketball left this season, and we’ll see how this plays out.”

That wouldn’t seem an endorsement. Ten months ago, Felton got the reprieve to end all reprieves, and that astonishing gain hasn’t been even slightly consolidated. As Woodbury said: “It’s like we’re kind of forgetting we are SEC champions.”

If the Bulldogs themselves can’t remember, why should anyone else?

Permalink | Comments (213) | Post your comment | Categories: UGA/SEC

Comments

By BulldawgSinceBirth

January 18, 2009 4:32 PM | Link to this

Couldn’t have said it any better!!!! No excuse for the three major sports at Georgia to ever be in this state of %(*&&^%!!! It is sad!!!!!

By BulldawgSinceBirth

January 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Link to this

I go to about 75-80% of the home games and a road game or two (have since 87-88)….I go now ONLY out of my GREAT LOVE for “Georgia.” It certainly is not because I EXPECT to win….EVER…

Again….SAD!!!!

By Gordon

January 18, 2009 4:38 PM | Link to this

What are your thoughts on Paul Hewitt, Mark? He may be able to recruit better than Felton, but he is no better at coaching. We haven’t won an NCAA game since his assistants Cliff Warren and Deane Keener left after the 04-05 season.

At the Tech/UGA game this year, there were some Georgia fans sitting next to me. By the end of the game, we were both laughing (to keep from crying) at the ineptitude of both teams. I told him that the two teams won’t win more than 6 conference games combined. That may have been optimistic.

Which AD will step up and do what must be done first?

By GGJ

January 18, 2009 4:42 PM | Link to this

I have been a supporter of Coach Felton. However, it is time to go!!!

By bank walker

January 18, 2009 4:47 PM | Link to this

Please Damon Evans, enough is enough! With all the great Bball players that come out of the state of Georgia, and can’t even dress a squad that can win in a rec league! Georgia needs a big name coach that can turn things around!! GO DAWGS!!

By ozzfest

January 18, 2009 4:50 PM | Link to this

Later, Dennis….and take Andy Landers with you.*

By Mac

January 18, 2009 4:50 PM | Link to this

Felton is worse than Ron Jirsa and he didn’t get this long to drag the program down. Get him out. Make getting a really good coach in Job 1. There’s no reason UGA can’t have a top-tier basketball program … other than continuing to employ crappy coaches, that is.

By coweataboy

January 18, 2009 4:55 PM | Link to this

Fire Dennis Felton!

By some sense

January 18, 2009 4:56 PM | Link to this

Yes, it just hasn’t worked out for either Felton or Hewitt. Good guys, good coaches, but it just hasn’t worked out for either.

Now the pressure in on which school reacts to the other’s freh hire. The big decision that waits each school’s AD’s is whether to be proactive or reactive. The one who’s proactive can really put the pressure on the other since the best available candidate will have a leg up on recruiting in state.

Key to (re)building either program is recruiting in-state talent.

By heinzdawg

January 18, 2009 4:59 PM | Link to this

We need a new coach and a new arena… we play in a cow barn… what big time recruit would want to play in the Stegman cow barn? It’s a joke that we’ve never had a program… a good year here and there maybe, but never a basketball program.

By Will

January 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Link to this

I don’t mind saying, “I COULD have said it better”, but this will certainly do. This man should have been fired several years ago. It’s not the record that bothers me the most. Felton will recruit kids and then give up on them when they aren’t the perfect pupil. Rather than get his hands dirty trying to bring positive change to a young man’s life who REALLY needs it, he instead kicks them out and searches for a kid he wont have to do any work with off the basketball court. My feeling is that being the head coach involves coaching in more places than on the hardwood. Being the head basketball coach at the University of Georgia is about developing a man’s potential in more ways than as a basketball player. Felton thinks making them show up for breakfast is what makes them into a man in the same way the Democratic party thought making someone a homeowner would make them a responsible, bill paying citizen.

By Ben W.

January 18, 2009 5:01 PM | Link to this

Lets face it. Tubby Smith is the only dependable basketball coach the University of Ga. has had since I have been watching and I have been watching for 50 years!

By Mr Fury

January 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Link to this

FELTON MUST GO! Thanks but your time here is done Mr Felton

By Bryan G.

January 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Link to this

Should Felton go?

YES YES YES.

By gabby

January 18, 2009 5:07 PM | Link to this

Looking at the game today I saw a team that was out hustled out coached better motivated. With that said I believe that coach Felton has to go. He can’t sign the big time highschool player who would help turn the program around. If you could see improvement on yearly basis then you would give more time, but you don’t.

By Carlton Powell

January 18, 2009 5:08 PM | Link to this

Sadly, it is time for a change. Felton came into a really bad situation and has given his all. No doubt about it. I saw the Tennessee game last Saturday, and said to someone afterwards that the team was finished for this season. They’ve lost their confidence. They MIGHT win 1 or 2 games, but I doubt more. Further, not being able to sign any of the state’s top prospects is something that has got to be changed. Thirty five years ago, it was common to go out of the area to find good BB talent. No more. I realize that for most top prospects the college game is a “one and done” scanario, and that’s been the rationalization many GA fans have used after Derrick Favors committed to GA Tech. But, he will be Tech’s “one and done.” So the question becomes who does GA try to hire? GA needs to hire as high a profile coach as possible, with an excellent financial package, say somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5M per year.Further, the contract should be very costly to any team attempting to hire the new coach away if he has success. For instance, making any contract buyout 3 times the face value of the original contract, cash up front, not the remaining residual value. No need to get “worked” again like C.M. Newton did with Tubby. Everyone assumes that BB will never be as big as football at UGA. Maybe never AS big, but it can be very successful. 2003 is a long time ago. Time to move on.

By Joe

January 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Link to this

Please take a good look at the players who left the state to play ball some where and NOT UGA-

class 2008- ACC-8 PAC-10 4 SEC- 5

They don’t go after kids very hard!!

By DR

January 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Link to this

Can’t say that I disagree Mark. Although to make me feel better, at least acknowledge that losing with “spare-parts” is a little better that losing with 5 consensus High School All Americans like the Poindexter of Techwood.

By Tired B-ball

January 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Link to this

Under Felton, teams have no discernible offense. Other teams have movement, cut to the basket, run screens—we just run around. He doesn’t even have the sense to run plays specifically for Thompkins—the best offensive player on the team.

Plus players never develop under Felton’s watch. Albert Jackson is not much better than he was as a freshman. Jeremy Price has regressed.

I’ve been a fan of UGA basketball since I came here in 89. I’m tired of it being treated as an afterthought. Florida, Ohio, Texas, TN and many other schools have shown you don’t have to be “just a football school”.

Tubby packed the place and generated excitement. So did Harrick. Spend the money and get us a top name coach that recruits and wins and the Coliseum will be packed again.

By swimdawg68

January 18, 2009 5:16 PM | Link to this

Felton arrived at UGA one year before the Tenn. coach arrived at Tenn. Just look at the difference in our program and Tenn. It is like night and day. I wonder if Damon has the courage to fire him and hire a quality coach? So far Damon has demonstrated little ability to evaluate a coach or program. I have not attended a game coached by Felton in 4 years and that will not change, and I live in the Athens area. I will not attend a game until Felton is gone. When he dismissed the team Chaplin (who is now the Chaplin for the Clemson Football team), and never appointed another Chaplin I knew Felton was not the coach for UGA and he has proven that in spades.

By SEC

January 18, 2009 5:16 PM | Link to this

BRING TUBBY BACK!!!!!!!

By Dawg97

January 18, 2009 5:18 PM | Link to this

Ummm…it can’t be that hard to convince Tubby now to return to UGA. It was a perfect match back when I was in school and now he’s freezing his butt off in Minnesota.

Time to forgive and forget and bring Tubby back. Either way, Felton absolutely needs to be fired.

By Flanders

January 18, 2009 5:19 PM | Link to this

“your a idiot”

What can ya say about that?

Time for change. Goodbye, Felton.

By Chris Broe

January 18, 2009 5:19 PM | Link to this

The Cardinals just blinked, but I still dont think McNabb has enough left to win this.

By The Alpha Male

January 18, 2009 5:20 PM | Link to this

I really hope that was a rhetorical question…. look the man’s record and look at his paycheck.

Bye.

By Rabun Dawg

January 18, 2009 5:25 PM | Link to this

With snow on the ground here, I was poised to watch what I somehow thought might be a decent game, but what I witnessed was one of the worst performances that I have ever seen by a “major” college team. Of course I am referring to the team that wore white uniforms , not the ones in blue! I think that I have seen better high school teams than the one that represents The Univ. Of Georgia! The State of Georgia is loaded with talent, metro Atlanta in particular, but it is obvious that none ever gets to Athens. Why would Favors have ever considered playing at UGA? We are a joke as far as roundball goes, and while I am sure that Dennis Felton is a good person, and maybe a decent coach, he is not getting the job done. Time for a change, I would assume?

By Joe

January 18, 2009 5:27 PM | Link to this

Look, there should be no waiting until the end of the season. We have no mid-week games this week and should go ahead and pull the trigger now.

It is unfair to the kids on the team to have an inept person leading them. And make no mistake, Felton is inept.

So is Pete Herrman. That guy is the biggest phoney since Bernie Madoff. He is supposed to be some sort of big man guru, but our big men are regressing at an appalling rate.

PLEASE DAMON EVANS, DO US A FAVOR AND FIRE FELTON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Reality

January 18, 2009 5:34 PM | Link to this

Ok Damon, it’s time to step it up. You’ve had it relatively easy so far as AD with money to burn. The BBall program is a complete mess. The practice facility and all the other upgrades have been like putting lipstick on a pig. MAN UP! UGA should never be in this position with our basketball team. It has gone on long enough. Even Felton’s mustache isn’t scaring any of our opponents. The University, students, facility, bus drivers, custodial staff, grounds crew, concession workers, towel washers, scoreboard keepers, players, their families, cheerleaders, Hairy Dog, the band and the magician at halftime ALL deserve better than this-starting tomorrow. None of us are getting any younger by the way. Too bad Knowshon didn’t play hoops too. Go Dawgs!

By Mike

January 18, 2009 5:34 PM | Link to this

As a season ticket holder for 36 years and after watching this team 6 times, I am seriously thinking about therapy - for myself ! To add to my trauma, sometimes I have the thrill of seeing our own King Arrogance I, AKA, Michael Adams. At least the snacks in the pre-game hospitality suite are good. While I’m at it, “enuff is enuff” with Coach Felton. Weak at point guard and shooting guard, the big guys get pushed around, and for reasons I can’t figure out, Swanzey takes the ball out against guys 6-8 or taller. Regardless of whether Favors stays only a year, he has no one who can get him the ball consistently. Kentucky put on a passing clinic today, and it’s a toss-up if they will even break the Top 20 before the SEC tourney. When the main attraction is Hairy Dawg doing a Vanilla Ice medley, clearly a change is in order!!

By ED FROM ELLIJAY

January 18, 2009 5:35 PM | Link to this

HIRE TUBBY SMITH BACK FROM MINNESOTA TO FILL THE STANDS AGAIN!!!! HIRE TUBBY SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By PHIL

January 18, 2009 5:39 PM | Link to this

First of all, Mark. Georgia is no Kansas. We can’t get players like Kansas can. Secondly, Self never came into the mess that Felton did. Thirdly I just can’t understand how people can blame on oerson for the actions of others, no matter what the scenario. IF we had all the players that were kicked off because of not going to class or doing STUPID things, we would win the SEC again. Having actually attended the University of Georgia, i can say that no coach can MAKE any of these people do anything. They can ride them, they can coerce them, but you cannot MAKE them do anything. If you say he is recruiting thugs, I would say that the backgrounds of these kids is checked thouroughly. But MOST of the people who can play basketball at this level also have the ability to change their behaviors as they get older. Its just that these kids went the wrong way, made stupid choices can’t blame Felton for that.

That being said, I can’t see how he can stay. The new kids this year plus those coming next year will get a good nucleaus for some guy to come in here to be the savior of the program and he will get all the credit.

The person who is single handedly at fault for the state of UGA basketball is Michael Adams. Can we fire him? He forced Dooley to hire his buddy Harrick. He allowed Tony what ever his name is into school when he shouldn’t have. He banned those kids who had earned it the right to play in the SEC and national tournament from playing. As long as he is here why would any good bball player come to UGA?

By Fearless Forecaster

January 18, 2009 5:39 PM | Link to this

It’s true that Dennis Felton had as big a mess to clean up as will President Obama— but how long does it take? Michael Adams— and only Michael Adams — is to blame for this. Had he kept his nose out of the coach-hiring business, Vince Dooley would have hired Mike Bray from Delaware and none of this would have happened. The problem with people like Adams is their egos are larger than their…….. (fill in the blank.) And in Adams’ case I doubt he had learned a thing!

By VMIKeydet01

January 18, 2009 5:42 PM | Link to this

Went to VMI and UGA…VMI a military college in Virginia, beat Kentucy this year, a cinderella game. Kentucky is having a rebuilding year, in this case UGA is playing at an all time low. There is no chemistry or flow on the court for the dawgs. Not sure if the dawgs could hang with many division I, single A or AA teams, some division II teams could beat UGA right now. Based on what I have seen, great athletes don’t always translate into basketball players. Normally that is what happens when you can’t attract athletes that are great basketball players as well.

Maybe Tubby back in Athens..just a thought!

Go Keydets…Go Dawgs!

By Disgusted

January 18, 2009 5:45 PM | Link to this

Well UGA take the advice the Dawgs gave Ga Tech. Give free Hot Dogs & Pizza to get some people for the basketball games. Also how about a package deal and get rid of Felton & Hewitt at the same time.

By CrimsonRedScarlett

January 18, 2009 5:47 PM | Link to this

For those who like train wrecks, wait for the Alabama-Georgia game. The losing coach can leave after this game determines the worst team in the SEC.

By Dawg

January 18, 2009 6:09 PM | Link to this

I agree. It’s time for Felton to go. It’s also time to revamp the arena in Athens if a new one is not going to be built and it appears that is the case. As far as a new coach, the first thing I would do is approach Tubby Smith about a return. No one has energized Georgia basketball like he did for the two years he was in Athens. If he declines, I don’t really know where you go only to say that it has to be someone who has proven himself at this level. And by the way, have you taken a look at the women’s program lately. I has been in a steady decline for several years and needs to be looked at. I’m not saying Landers should be let go, but it needs to be made clear that more is expected at Georgia. UGA deserves better basketball programs than we have this year.

By Hairy Dawg

January 18, 2009 6:11 PM | Link to this

I figured that Felton would get a free pass this year, but if the Dawgs keep playing like this…nope, no free pass.

The Dawgs actually have too much talent this year to be playing so poorly on offense. The guys may be young, but they don’t even look like they know what they are doing. That’s on the coach.

By Jeff

January 18, 2009 6:11 PM | Link to this

…and take Paul Hewitt with you!!!! They both stink as coaches. Nice men, but stinky coaches. Neither program sheds good light on the state of college basketball in the State of Georgia.

By BravesFan79

January 18, 2009 6:11 PM | Link to this

Tho im a MUCH bigger fan of GT hoops than UGA hoops, ill cheer for Ga if there in the tourney or NIT. I actually think Felton has the OPPOSITE problem of Hewitt. Felton seems like a pretty good x’s and o’s coach, yet cant recruit.
Hewitt is a great recuiter, yet is a average (at best) coach, and is 2 dmn stubborn to get NEW assistants!!

Bring back the old assistants Hewitt…. or get out of the way and let someone else take over!

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 6:14 PM | Link to this

It seems instructive that Damon Evans didn’t extend Felton’s contract after Georgia won the SEC tournament. Nothing changed contractually.

By Reality

January 18, 2009 6:20 PM | Link to this

HEY TECHIE! WHO ASKED YOU? You’re annoying and we don’t want you associated with us so quit posting in this thread. Even when we are cursing our coach you people are aggravating. We don’t care about your crappy program and your problems with Hewitt. Go back to complaining to your Star Trek action figures or your own board. At least Felton is a better dresser than Hewitt. He’s probably better at thumb-wrestling too. Get lost.

By jcy1968

January 18, 2009 6:23 PM | Link to this

I miss Jim Harick…he could really coach a half court offense….

By name

January 18, 2009 6:28 PM | Link to this

You are all shameless, I would bet anything that when UGA won the SEC tournament last year (a tournament that in all honesty had the level of competition you would find at an AAU tournament) you could hardly contain yourselves. News flash: the win was a fluke the tourney was watered down and Felton has never been able to perform successfully as a major conference coach. Graduation rate is 23% and close to 12 players have left the program since his tenure started, many of them players he recruited. Despite these frightening statistics at one point all of you were okay with him. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I honestly hope he gets another extension, you all deserve him.

By Disgusted

January 18, 2009 6:29 PM | Link to this

Hey Reality, keep working at Johnny Rockets and get the orders straight. At least Tech took it to the basket scoring more than the deflated Sissy Puppies, LOL

By Rod

January 18, 2009 6:30 PM | Link to this

BRING BACK TUBBY!

By shawn

January 18, 2009 6:31 PM | Link to this

Truth is Tubby was right for us and UGA was right for him. It was a mistake for him to leave and I bet he knows it now. He could have built a powerhouse and been loved forever. That ship may have sailed but I certainly would at least ASK him if he wants to come back.

By Bill

January 18, 2009 6:32 PM | Link to this

Agree Bravesfan79; Its time for Paul Hewitt to go!! Felton is great guy but just can’t get his players to respond. Both schools need to pull the trigger and get new Coaches.

By name

January 18, 2009 6:33 PM | Link to this

MARK BRADLEY IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO OTHER CAREER OPTIONS. HAVE YOU RESEARCHED THE STATISTICS….THE GRADUATION RATES OR THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS THAT HAVE LEFT?????????

By DFelton need help

January 18, 2009 6:37 PM | Link to this

fisrt and for most we need a new arena if we are going to get recruit to play here we need a big time arena look at some of the ACC school nice arena better talent at Ga don’t have either You just can’t put a bandaid (remodeling) and say see it ‘s fix.

By Brian Burgess

January 18, 2009 6:41 PM | Link to this

Look, right or wrong, Mark is writing another article about firing a coach…. anything else?

By Mike

January 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Link to this

Mark: Gregory is your best suggestion? Really? He has only been to the tourney one year, and it was with Oliver Purnell’s players. No thank you. We need to hire Felton’s replacement, not his clone. I would have loved to get rid of Felton years ago, but unless the Athletic Dept. will break the bank to get a Capel, Jamie Dixon, Few etc, or someone equally established, this next hire will be another shot in the dark on the cheap by a clueless Athletic Dept. You get what you pay for in college coaching, and with this Administration’s lack of commitment and knowledge about basketball, it remains basically a hopeless situation. I have little faith that Evans cares or knows anything more about basketball than Vince Dooley did.

By D

January 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Link to this

The Bulldogs winning the SEC tournament last year was bittersweet for me. Mostly on the positive side— I loved both Gaines and Bliss and felt like they had been through so much, it was a fantastic reward for them to finally make the NCAAs. But, I knew that Felton had saved his job, whereas, it was pretty much assured that he was going to be fired at the end of the season. It sounds like he’s only got this season left— and, with the state the Dogs are in right now… he’s gone. Maybe he’ll be gone even before the season plays out? We already know that Favors isn’t coming, so there’s no recruiting reason, at least that I’m aware of, to keep him around.

I know it’s been tough for him— it looked like the program was really on the rise when we had Mercer, Humphrey, and Brown. Remember that team? That was a pretty dang good group. But they all sort of screwed up. That’s not really Felton’s fault, but the fact that players kept messing up or transferring over and over… that kind of pattern indicates an institutional problem— meaning head coaching problems.

Time to ditch Dennis.

By Joshua

January 18, 2009 6:48 PM | Link to this

Mark Bradley

Once again it shows your a idiot. You write a article about Felton, but your so busy kissing Mike Woodson a* to get a interview. Felton has a better record then Woodson. And if you knew anything about basketball, you know u can’t win if you don’t have the talent to do so. I know that because I’m a basketball coach, your a a* kisser. Why have you note wrote anything about how bad Mike Woodson is?? tell us that????????

By steve

January 18, 2009 6:49 PM | Link to this

duh… TODAY would be fine with me. Just do it.

By josh

January 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Link to this

Fire Felton? That’s racist. I look forward to Terrance Moore’s column in a few days singing the praises of Felton and demanding he get another 5 years to turn the program around.

Our basketball offense is just as bad as our football defense. Maybe Willie Martinez can coach basketball. Allowing 45 points in the gym would be considered a good thing.

By josh

January 18, 2009 6:52 PM | Link to this

By Artie

January 18, 2009 6:56 PM | Link to this

Get real!!! Tubby isn’t stupid enough to return to UGA!!!

By Felton deserves better

January 18, 2009 6:57 PM | Link to this

Felton came into a dismantling program. He was stuck for 3 years with major scholarship losses, and the loss of an entire recruiting class his first year. Wake up you impatient losers! Who do you think is going to want to come in and “save” this program? No one! The program is in the tank, let Felton finish what he started and build it up from the bottom. Five years is nothing.

By I'mfurit

January 18, 2009 6:58 PM | Link to this

Option #1- Open and pocketbook and go get Tubby!! Option #2- Open and pocketbook and go get Anthony Grant!!

By josh

January 18, 2009 6:59 PM | Link to this

To Joshua:

You said in your post above, “Once again it shows your a idiot.” Umm, you might want to use correct grammar when calling someone else an idiot. Since you can’t correctly write a sentence, maybe YOU’RE the idiot. Also, shouldn’t you have said “an idiot” instead of “a idiot?” I’m sure you already knew all of this though. Enjoy your morning shift at Waffle House tomorrow.

By Lowcountry Bulldawg

January 18, 2009 7:02 PM | Link to this

Where is the talent? Like Keving Costner, “if you build it, they will come.” Felton has simply failed at putting talent on the court. It is time for him to go.

By Meanwhile...reading the tea leaves

January 18, 2009 7:09 PM | Link to this

As the multi-tasking host (I’m assuming he’s keeping tabs on the Cardinals-Eagles game) of this blog proclaims “It seems instructive that Damon Evans didn’t extend Felton’s contract after Georgia won the SEC tournament.”

Telling. Very telling. Dare we say, even more “instructive” than Jim Harrick Jr.’s “Principles of Basketball”?

Even if that improbable SEC title run had been sponsored by no less than Sherwin-Williams, there was no way Evans was going to paint himself into a corner by altering that contract.

It is also just as instructive to note that Evans said “There’s still basketball left this season, and we’ll see how this plays out.”

In other words, to carry the previous visual arts analogy to its logical conclusion, the handwriting is on the wall.

By Phil on the Flats

January 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Link to this

Mark,

Have you awarded Hewitt the same kind of lifetime pass you have apparently given Bobby Cox?

By Meanwhile...and aside to josh

January 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Link to this

Josh,

You shouldn’t be so hard on Joshua. He claimed to know X’s and O’s; he didn’t claim expertise on the other twenty four letters of the alphabet.

By DBR13

January 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Link to this

I think both coaches at UGA should go men and ladies. The ladies coach has been there forever please tell me the last time he won a bog game……Both should go!!!!!!!!!!!!

By BravesAreDone

January 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Link to this

Thank you Mark!! I’ve said he needed to go for several years now!!

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Link to this

This column is about Dennis Felton. I’ll get around to Paul Hewitt in another. I promise.

By Robert

January 18, 2009 7:40 PM | Link to this

I like Felton but agree it’s time for a change. Still think he’s a good coach but the program isn’t making progress. Unfortunately, the biggest name recruit (Williams) never came to campus and is now playing in the NBA. Then he dismissed Mercer, Brown and Humphrey for various reasons. Now once again having to depend on freshmen and sophmores who aren’t ready. Just hasn’t had a lot of luck with his recruits. Tompkins is the real deal but can’t do it by himself.

By Robert

January 18, 2009 7:41 PM | Link to this

By HoopJones

January 18, 2009 7:42 PM | Link to this

I’ll bet CMR and his buddies like to see CDF’s problems…at least for one day they aren’t busting them up about getting another 40 or so hung on them. I went to the game today and the hoops team looked like the football team in the 2nd half vs GT…uninspired and unprepared!

By DawginLex

January 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Link to this

Mark,

You can hang onto that “unranked UK squad” line for about one more day. Like it or not, Gillispie is going to win and win big at UK.

Felton just never got it going at UGA. I would think his days are numbered as well.

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 7:47 PM | Link to this

I’ve always thought Felton was a good coach, too. But you can’t argue with the results. (I can’t, anyway.)

And there’s no way Dixon leaves Pitt or Capel leaves OU for Georgia. I’m sorry, but those are simply better jobs.

By PJ

January 18, 2009 7:47 PM | Link to this

Will look forward to you keeping your promise regarding Hewitt. He thinks he is safe because he is such a big mouth advocate for the color of the coach instead of the quality. I could care less about any color… just want a quality coach who runs a top-drawer program… and he is not close… and never has been! I do not know a great deal about Felton… but all one needs do is look at Clemson and there you find what we are looking for… fine program run by an excellent coach/gentleman.

By dawgh8er4ever

January 18, 2009 7:51 PM | Link to this

With the likes of North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, UCLA, etc…Why would a basketball recruit even consider UGA? Just a question, someone PLEASE give me an intelligent answer.

By Meanwhile...inside the numbers

January 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Link to this

26-57 in SEC regular season play? Ow. Those numbers are so sobering, they should be added to The Serenity Prayer at the Athens’ AA meetings.

By HoopJones

January 18, 2009 8:00 PM | Link to this

Wake Forest? We beat them double digits last year! Coaching my friends…we are lacking. Why would a FB recruit choose UGA when you could go to Florida or LSU…winners of the three last BCS titles? Oh that’s right…they don’t…they go and stay at Florida

By PJ Tidefan

January 18, 2009 8:07 PM | Link to this

Don’t worry Dawg fans. Come over here to Tuscaloosa and get an easy win in two weeks. Y’all can have Gottfried if you want.

By BeachGaBulldog

January 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Link to this

I have been a Dawg fan since the early 70’s. The football program speaks for itself. But basketball? What kind of history does that program have? None. Oh, one final four appearance with Dominique; an SEC tourney win last year…BIG DEAL! There is NO EXCUSE for UGA having such a lousy roundball tradition and program. Does Felton need to go? GOOD GOD, he should have been gone 2 years ago. The players don’t respond to him. This team is not progressing under him, but severely regressing. I was going to watch the game today, but I am glad that I didn’t. DAMON, PLEASE FIRE THAT IDIOT!

By tom

January 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Link to this

Our basketball team has quit on the coach. Dr. Thomas Johnson Class of ‘74

By DBR13

January 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Link to this

Yes both coaches should go men and women caoches.PLEASE!!!

By dd

January 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Link to this

How do players get in school with those SAT scores?

Oh, I forgot, it’s Florida.

By Gorilla Lover

January 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Link to this

We have not been worth a damn, since we quit having the Gorilla to do a halftime show, once a year. UGA Basketball lost me right then.I posted fliers & had a pretty good mailing to a lot real Ga fans and Officials around Athens. No one cared. I am firmly convinced that the loss of the Gorilla half time show got Durham fired.

By tenn.DAWG

January 18, 2009 8:23 PM | Link to this

Let’s face it,when you’re banking on ballroom dancers to to entertain your basketball fans something is very screwed up.Damon Evans needs to grow a backbone and make basketball a high priority.both men and womens.UF and UTK are leaving UGA behind when it comes to promoting and upgrades.Where’s the accountability?

By savannadawg

January 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Link to this

There is a damn good coach at Winthrope in Rock Hill S.C. Get him.

By lenny

January 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Link to this

mens and womens b-ball just arent on the give a crap meter for the powers to be. why? I wish i knew . been following the dogs since 1974 and they suck every year. if they wanted a good team they would have one, its that simple. Damon evans needs to take his a* out of athens and hire a winner to replace him. we really suck but hey we got that stupid girls gynnastics team. Georgia seems to be a woman controlled sports school, sad sad sad.

By LadyHeel

January 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Link to this

From a Tar Heel fan, the state of college hoops in Georgia is abysmal. Sadly, I think its time for both Hewitt and Felton to go. I think they’re great guys, but they simply aren’t getting the job done…especially Hewitt in the ACC, there is simply no excuse for 0 and 4 in conference play. I see no reason why D-1 schools with fertile sports recruiting grounds can’t excel at both hoops and football as long as there is support. If the Heels can get Butch Davis and start the process of turning it around on the football field, I see no reason why the same can’t be said at Georgia on the hardwoods.

By Diggity Dawg

January 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Link to this

79 comments so far (not including Bradley’s two updates), and only ONE was not in favor of firing Felton. Normally, we get some people with some outrageous opinions on this board, but those numbers do not lie. As for me, I loved basketball when I was at UGA from 84-88 (it was better than football, that’s for sure). I couldn’t be less interested now, and that’s pretty much been the case the entire time that Felton has been at Georgia for just about all of the reasons that have been stated above. There was one statement above that I felt spoke the most about the man — if you’ve read, you know it. That and losing games to every real team you have played this year except Va. Tech (and boy was their coach P!$$ED at that result) should buy you a one-way ticket back to the Ohio Valley Conference. I have NEVER called for any Georgia coach to be fired (Goff and Jirsa don’t count), but I am now. FIRE DENNIS FELTON!

By Bubbadawg

January 18, 2009 8:41 PM | Link to this

Anthony Grant!!!!

By cotton dawg

January 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Link to this

After the game,Felton boarded a plane for Washington D.C. so that he could attend the Obama Inagural Celebration.Enough said folks.

By AtlMike

January 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Link to this

Felton must go!! We have given him enough time and it just is not working. The players look like they do not even try. Please let him go on Monday!

By chuck allison

January 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Link to this

There is at least one major D1 basketball coach at another school in the state of Georgia who has done a worse job considering the talent he has to work with. Dennis Felton won the SEC tournament last year and he has never embarassed UGA with scandal like Durham and Harret (or whoever he was). He is a good man and character counts.

By GT85

January 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Link to this

It is time for both Hewitt and Felton to go. This is embarrassing for the State of Georgia. I would not be surprised if Favors does not change his mind after the recent Tech games.

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Link to this

Great line: “I have never called for any Georgia coach to be fired (Goff and Jirsa don’t count).”

And you know what? They don’t.

By JEANTOBY

January 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Link to this

SORRY BUT YESS

By hop

January 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Link to this

MARK.why do you think uga is not better than pitt or ou when the state produces so many great high school basketball prospects.

we have seen hugh durham take the dawgs to the final four and tubby took it to another level. if we pay the money, we could get a great coach because we have done so in the past!

georgia has done very well in nearly all other sports; basketball should not be any different.

By TR23

January 18, 2009 8:59 PM | Link to this

You can look at UGA’s players body language and facial expressions and tell they are unhappy with Felton. He has them playing too timid. The players know if they make a mistake he is going to take them out of the game. Its the coach fault if the team cannot inbound the ball under their own basket. Remember the Tennessee game. The drill sargent approach does not work with every player. UGA should go after Tommie Amaker from Harvard or Virginia Commonwealth Anthony Grant.

By tenn.DAWG

January 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Link to this

Chuck,you’re right,CDF is a very good man,and because of that he has endured.The reality is,his players layed down today,and when that happens in my opinion they quit on him.This team and fan base deserves better.

By UGA Alum

January 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Link to this

As much as I hate it, it is time for Felton to go. I think he is a great man, but he is just missing something. Not sure what it is, but it is just not there. He has had plenty of time to turn it around, but he can’t seem to recruit and keep anything but marginal talent. All the attrition and the losing has just gotten unbearable. I really think Felton is a good man and I have been his biggest supporter, but he is just not getting the results. I think it is time, unfortunatley.

By mayor bob

January 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Link to this

Whose Dennis Felton? He should go to Washington..Obama needs a little help on his “free throws”! Maybe he’s going to be asked to serve as our Basketball Ambassador!

By Disgusted

January 18, 2009 9:12 PM | Link to this

I have long been a Felton fan, and expected, even predicted, great things. I admired his toughness, but our players do not seem to play with any discipline. He is apparently a very hard coach to play for, and hemorrhages talent every year, it seems. He started with an impossible task, but should be well past that by now. Sad, but I’ve lost faith in him.

Please don’t bring back Tubby—he’d just hump our leg for another few years, always looking for the next bigger, better thing. I’d even take Bobby Cremins, although I’d rather have Bob McKillop at Davidson. I just don’t want my alma mater to let him go!

By heeldawg

January 18, 2009 9:16 PM | Link to this

Felton: Good man, poor recruiter, weak bench coach.

Agree that U.Ga. isn’t UNC, but enough is enough.

Time for a change.

By redcoats95

January 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Link to this

What is really sad in the MILLIONS of dollars spent on a new workout facility for them and it hasn’t lured any top talent or done any good - yet. That was money that could have been spent on a new indoor workout facility for the football team - they have earned it!

UGA has given Felton everything he he needs to build a top notch team and hasn’t produced. Good coaches can get decent players and make them GREAT players.

This guy should be coaching high school - we need a “Mark Richt” type of coach.

By dawgsarejokes

January 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Link to this

Hey dawg fans….why not go all the way fire richt while your at it..Laughingstock of the SEC

By tenn.DAWG

January 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Link to this

enough with the this is not UNC or Kansas or UF or Clemson or who ever,Georgia produces as good of basketball tallent as any of these states and should never be considered as second fiddle.

By Dustin

January 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Link to this

I blame Willie M for this!! Not only has he brought down the football program, but now the basketball!! Don’t let him near the GymDogs!!!!

By millermoose

January 18, 2009 9:43 PM | Link to this

Coach Felton is only a part of the problem. Can you imagine how hard it is to get good players to come to a school that thinks they are a national contender in football every year and for the most part could care less about basketball. It’s the same as KY trying to recruit good footbal players. Every once in a while you get a local guy who wants to go to the state school, but by and large, most top recruits these days want to go to a school where there is a passion for the game and a place where there is a supportive fan base. For the elite players, why go to UGA when they are in the back door of North Carolina, Duke, Florida, Tennessee and even Clemson. All of these have a much more attractive program. UGA needs to understand that thier basketball program is always going to take a back seat to other sprots here including gymnastics, baseball and even tennis. Good Luck !!!

By Steve

January 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Link to this

Keep Dennis!! His 4 big men were all hurt before the season, so they came in in terrible shape, and played hurt the first half of the year. Fluke thing - Georgia is poised to turn into a program. We signed Thompkins and Leslie last year, 2 of Ga.s best. The year before we signed 2 more ESPN top 100 players from Ga, Jeremy Price and Chris Barnes. With Georgia’s class attendance academic policy, Felton has had to sign great students as well as B’ball players. Only 2 absences a semester per class. He could only recruit the Mike Mercer, Billy Humphrey types for a couple of years after the Harrick debacle, because thats all that would play for a disgraced program. He signed those guys before the academic policy, so they get kicked off the team (Mercer and Takias Brown). He signed 2 more Georgia studs this year, great players who are not 1 or 2 year and out guys. Give this guy 2 more years, and Ga. will be stacked! And hire the chaplin back - Steve

By john

January 18, 2009 9:47 PM | Link to this

The SEC Tourney run last season was a total fluke. It’s time for a change. Hewitt has earned this and next season based on his incredible recruiting class coming in next season. If GT does not make the NCAA’s next season he is in serious trouble. Hey at least he went to a national championship game a few years back.

By Lee

January 18, 2009 10:03 PM | Link to this

Mark:

In addition to Felton I think we could make the same case for Mark Richt and his so-called coaching staff. We have just as much talent as Florida but cannot get the big win. Meyer has two national championships in three years. The best Mark Richt can muster is two SEC championships! So what’s the difference? Meyer finds ways to motivate his players whether that motivation is punitive or encouraging it works. When are you going to call for Mark Richt’s immediate an unconditonal resignation?

By Ben

January 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Link to this

UGA really should get rid of Michael Adams, almost all the problems in UGA’s athletics programs can be traced back to his bad decisions. It is time for Felton to go, and if not for the awesome recruiting class Hewitt has coming up, I’d say it’s time to go for him, too. The difference between the two is that Hewitt has something for us to look forward to, while Felton has nothing in the cupboard.

By CT

January 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Link to this

Yes he needs to go, but why stop with him let’s send him a friend to the unemployment line in Willie Martinez! Howe ever LEE what has Felton done other than a chance SEC Championship and they a loss in the first round of the NCAA. We have a sorry basketball program, but with great players in this state we should do better. I think a new Arena would be a good starting point!!

By Ron Roberts

January 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Link to this

Dennis Felton’s a damn-good coach; but Dennis Felton has yet to show he’s a damn-good recruiter. If last year’s March Madness couldn’t help him land prized recruits in-state, then nothing else will.

In the time we’ve had Felton at Georgia, Arkansas was torched and is now regrown; Clemson has gone from nobody to top 10, and Kentucky has (once again) survived a severe down-turn to be formidable.

And nobody needs to give us the Stegeman Coliseum crutch-for-an-excuse. Kansas and Duke manage to do just fine with far inferior arenas. New arenas didn’t raise South Carolina or Virginia (state flagship institutions) to loftier heights, either.

Really impressed with Dennis Felton’s ability to maneuver this program through the muddy waters of the post-Harrick era, and for that, and last spring’s Miracle in Midtown; but it’s time to move in another direction. We have a state abundant in blue-chip prospects, the practice and pre-game facilities to compare to any in the nation, a terrific campus and city for these players to want to play in, a student body hungry for a program to rally behind after each football season, and a venerable arena that cleans up rather nice for her age, and with a nice future ahead of her in the athletic association’s master plan.

We just need a men’s program that makes better use of all those perks… get’r done.

By Poppy

January 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Link to this

I honestly think Felton has had ample opportunity to turn things around. Its time for him to go.

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 10:28 PM | Link to this

I don’t know about Arkansas being regrown: The Hogs are 0-3 in SEC play. (Yes, they did beat Oklahoma and Texas.)

By Ron Roberts

January 18, 2009 10:28 PM | Link to this

Oh, and Artie I’d bet you good money that Tubby actually wishes he’d never left Georgia after his tenure at Kentucky.

I said it when he left ,and still believe it, today… had Tubby Smith stayed at Georgia he would’ve been this program’s John Wooden, or Adolph Rupp. Instead, he chose to be another link on the long chain of Kentucky also-rans, and I think his moving on to Minnesota (eerily similar to Georgia’s program when you compare up-and-down records and dated facilities) speaks volumes to support my theory.

By Joshua

January 18, 2009 10:29 PM | Link to this

josh

I didn’t know this was a grammar class. Go stand in line with Mark Bradley. Once again neither of you know anything about basketball.

Bradley has replied twice sense i posted my comments, and he still didn’t answer the Mike Woodson question. That proves my point.

By Steve

January 18, 2009 10:33 PM | Link to this

If Georgia could have kept Billy Humphrey, they would have had 2 formidable seniors at the 2 and 3 spots, with Butler (another senior) coming off the bench. Even with our frontcourt injuries, we would have been a much better basketball team. And with Mercer, Takias Brown, Humphreys and Albert Jackson being derailed last year by the new academic policy to varying degrees, we weren't able to redshirt McKenzie or Chris Barnes. So they got thrown to the 'dogs' to early. But guys we have a true So. at Pg, with a tru Fr as backup. A walk on Senior at Shg., with at walk on Jr and a true So (who also should have been redshirted last year) as back up. Sr. utility player in Woodbury at 3, with a true Fr. at backup. True Fr. at PF, with a true So and true Fr. at backup. Jr. at C, with a true So as back-up. Redshirting that good ShG who broke his foot. I'm telling you guys, give this Coach 2 years, and we are set for many. That being said, I don't think he can make it in this climate, too bad for too long - Steve

By Ron Roberts

January 18, 2009 10:34 PM | Link to this

Noted, Mark about Arkansas… but they are 15-4 and will win their share of SEC games when it’s all said and done, I’d think. They’ll assuredly wind up with 20 or more wins, too, and earn an at-large NCAA berth, too, I’m guessing. In Felton’s tenure, we’ve (as you pointed out) not won 20 games in a season nor have we gotten an at-large NCAA berth. We miracled our way in last year, based on that crazy SEC tournament weekend.

By Chapple Belle

January 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Link to this

I find it comical that Damon Evans asked that the football program be on equal footing with Florida. Hey, Damon - got a news flash for you —- why don’t you look in the mirror and be on equal footing with Jeremy Foley and GIVE US A BASKEKBALL PROGRAM!

By steve

January 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Link to this

Maybe Gregory doesn’t want to take a step down by coming to Georgia.

By Steve

January 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Link to this

Next year - Jr. PG with a So back-= up Jr. SG with a Sr. reserve 2 very good So SmF’s So PF with a Jr back - up Sr. Center, with a Jr reserve

Should be much improved - and that doesn’t count 1 very good redshirt and 2 very good incoming Freshmen.

By steve

January 18, 2009 10:42 PM | Link to this

coincidence: two different steves

By Mark Bradley

January 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Link to this

Yes, but … when a coach is in Year 6 and he’s rebuilding a team that had to win four SEC tournament games to finish 17-17, that doesn’t say much for the program’s overall strength. It says — at least to me — that he’s rebuilding what was never fully built.

By CB

January 18, 2009 10:58 PM | Link to this

Ok fans so Who would UGA hire????????????????? Tubby is nt coming back ! He is ok in MInnesota , !!

By Joe

January 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Link to this

GT head coach Paul Hewitt is a great recruiter and good coach the problem he has is that most of his great talent leaves for the NBA after 1 year the majority of time he don’t have time to build a team around the star player that leave. (Chris Bosh, Javaris Crittenten, Thadeus Young).

I don’t blame coach Hewitt he is doing the best he can with what he got.

UGA head coach needs to go they should try to hire former UCLA coach Steve Lavin he would be a good fit for UGA and he is a good recruiter.

By Lee Miller

January 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Link to this

Georgia is the worst team in the SEC and the SEC is the worst of the six major college conferences this year. That coupled with the fact that it is Felton’s 6th year, they can hardly score 20 points in a half, and Metro Atlanta is one of the Top 6 producers of talent and they get very few of the top players= Felton MUST be fired. Georgia Basketball cannot be a UNC, Duke or Kansas, but their RPI (175) shouldn’t EVER be lower than Montana State (172),North Texas (168), and Albany (169) among others. Shoot, Jirsa was fired after going 35-30 and had brought in NBA 1st rounder Jumaine Jones. I have already pulled my money out of the bball program, if he isn’t fired after this year, I’ll pull my money from the school altogether.

By jch

January 18, 2009 11:08 PM | Link to this

Mark, thinking any differently about the Cats and Gillispie?

Seems to me they’re playing awefully well of late…

Certainly much better than how you described them just a few weeks ago.

As you may have guessed, I’m from KY and do bleed Blue (no paint on game-day though!).

Personally, I was glad to see Tubby go. He was an absolute gem of a person and a great coach; but things had gone stale at UK for his last several years. In my opinion, he seemed to have been “stung” a bit by the one/two and done recruits and spent too much time trying to find developmental projects who would stay 4 years (Mike Williams, Jared Carter, Michael Porter, AJ Stewart, Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson…etc.). His system just doesn’t seem to accomodate guys who leave early. He seems to want experienced players running his schemes - not guys who light it up for a year or two and then leave for their millions in the NBA. Like it or not, to be in the top tier of the NCAA, you have to have these kids on the floor for you.

So, I was glad to see him go, but a bit apprehensive of the Gillispie hire.

However, I couldn’t be happier with him now. I love his defense first, last and always approach - it may not be fun to watch all the time but let’s face it with his defense we’re almost always in games (UNC the loan exception this year) and, 10+ blocks/game (I know not averaging quite that… yet) is kinda cool!

Needless to say, Billy G. is a COMPLETELY different coach than Tubby, and most of the rest of the coaching nation for that matter, and it took a while to get that warm & fuzzy feeling with his system. But, it’s awefully tough to argue with his success so far…

UK is an excellent defensive team and a very good shooting team. Ball handling, not so much… but it is getting better (I think/hope…).

I don’t think they’re going to make a super-deep run this March but I do see them as the odds-on to winning the SEC regular season and at least the second round in the tourney - Sweet 16??? Maybe, with a good draw…

Next year, look out! I’d put money on them being a top 10 team and at least in the final 4 conversation (I’m assuming/hoping - I am a true blue UK fan afterall - Patterson & Meeks both stick around for next year with this prediction).

By quinton

January 18, 2009 11:13 PM | Link to this

Felton and Hewitt should be fired both programs need to start building. I think Hewitt saved his job by getting Favors. UGA has new facilities and now they need a new coach.

By StockDog

January 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Link to this

I have always enjoyed your columns Mark since you arrived in Atlanta. I agree that Felton must go. This is year 6 and we suck. We need to go after a good up and comer. Also, we need to blow up the cow palace known as Stegman Coliseum.

This team is pathetic. I used to go to games, but since Felton got there, I haven’t seen an inkling of winning. I stopped going last year, but after the SEC Tournament, I thought about going to some games this year. However, I saw a few games on TV early in the season and decided to continue to go to Atlanta Hawks games.

Georgia basketball is irrelevant outside of Athens GA.

By BobDog

January 18, 2009 11:15 PM | Link to this

Our basketball facilities are sad. Stegeman is under-sized and antiquated, lipstick on a pig at best. How does Felton recruit when pretty much every program he goes up against has better facilities?

There is no commitment to the basketball program by the administration or by the general fan base. Until that changes, anyone who succeeds as a coach at Georgia will do just what Tubby did- leave for a better job.

By AlphaMike

January 18, 2009 11:29 PM | Link to this

Here’s why Georgia will always struggle in basketball. I was at the game today, wearing my UK sweatshirt, and standing in line for a hot dog at halftime. A Georgia fan, incredulous at the UK fan support at an away game on a rainy Sunday afternoon (Mark, I think it was more like 60%), asks “where do all these Kentucky fans come from”. We told him: some from Atlanta, some from the rest of Georgia, and many come down from Kentucky every year.” His response was, “don’t you have anything better to do than drive all that way to watch a basketball game?” I’ve been to about 15 UK games at Stegeman over the past 30 years and it has ALWAYS been this way. I agree that Felton should be fired but I’m not sure I agree with the idea that there’s no reason that UGA basketball can’t compete at the level of its football team with that kind of attitude.

By "Know it All"

January 18, 2009 11:54 PM | Link to this

The program is lifeless. Felton can’t sell the program and when you build a $30 million dollar facility and the 2nd highest revenue sport at the school is not bringing people in you make a change.

Thank you for getting us going Felton but good luck with your next program.

By Allen

January 18, 2009 11:54 PM | Link to this

I am a UGA grad and believe Dennis Felton is a good man … but it is time for him to go … . . we need another Hugh Durham or Tubby Smith … someone who can win consistently … Felton’s 6th year team is not even competitive. UGA deserves better. Go Dogs!

By GW

January 18, 2009 11:59 PM | Link to this

I loved Tubby but remember who hired him at UGA. Mikey will have no part of a possible return. Felton does need to go, not in March, but NOW! Give the job to any assistant on an interim basis and hire big this spring. Don’t hint to Evans, he doesn’t have the authority to fire a coach.

By Sam

January 19, 2009 12:02 AM | Link to this

Harrick was a major mistake, but that is ancient history in college basketball terms.

Adams hiring Felton was widely seen as a great hire. It did not work out. That happens.

At least UGA should talk to Tubby about returning. I disagree that it was a mistake for him to leave. Look at your career and look at the top firms. If you had a chance to leave for one of them would you? UK is a premier coaching program in the country.

This is where an AD and president make or break themselves (aside from some scandal): hiring of a coach. For this reason alone, they deserve big bucks.

By Big MIKE

January 19, 2009 12:05 AM | Link to this

Please let football come back, so people at UGA can relate!Want great basketball, pull out some of your old 1980’s videotapes. The last great era of basketball. Let Dennis stay, hell nobody else wants to coach at a football school!

By Mark Bradley

January 19, 2009 12:05 AM | Link to this

Thanks, StockDog.

And I’d agree that Stegeman Coliseum is no showplace. But here’s the tangle for Georgia: Do you invest in a better (and presumably bigger) arena when you can’t fill this one?

By Meanwhile...lessons in architecture

January 19, 2009 12:16 AM | Link to this

For people who think the admittedly smallish Stegeman Coliseum is the problem I have three words: Cameron Indoor Stadium.

By Mark Bradley

January 19, 2009 12:17 AM | Link to this

Oh, and one more Georgian who got away: Jordan Hill is a 6-foot-10 junior at Arizona who averages 17 points and 11 rebounds. He’s from Atlanta. He’s somewhat better than Albert Jackson or Jeremy Price.

By HollywoodDawg

January 19, 2009 12:18 AM | Link to this

In the last two games, UGA Hoops has scored 40 and 36 points respectively. What?? Is this a joke? The program needs new life. I’d snatch the coach of the BUTLER BULLDOGS. His record in two years is something like 42-5. Just a thought.

By Meanwhile...speaking of Cameron Indoor Stadium

January 19, 2009 12:27 AM | Link to this

You know, Coach K at Duke had a losing record two of his first three years at Duke. So, maybe if Georgia would just exhibit a little more patience…sorry, I have to bring this post to a close; my keyboard is laughing uncontrollably.

By Steve

January 19, 2009 12:39 AM | Link to this

Best case scenario - Dennis Felton resigns. Probably not going to happen however. Felton has Tubby Smith itis - looking for the 4-5 year players. He has recruited very well in-state the last 3 years in my opinion (Price, Barnes, Leslie, Thompkins, Miller etc.). Was hoping he could see it through, but looking bleak.

By Steve

January 19, 2009 12:45 AM | Link to this

I think this team is looking at 6-10 SEC *next* year. The breakout year would be2010 -11, don't think the Bulldog nation will give Felton the chance to get to "program" status, with graduates etc. at this point. By the way, think Meeks and Patterson are gone from Kentucky after this year - those guys are studs!

By Ron Roberts

January 19, 2009 1:31 AM | Link to this

Facilities are not the issue, guys. What we have is superior to Duke and Gonzaga and Kansas and on-par with Clemson and Vandy and LSU and Florida. Players will go where programs are winning and in the media spotlight. And face it, last spring, the “story” was the SEC tournament in a storm, and Georgia was a sidebar; before that, the Harrick mess was the last time the program was in the “spotlight,” and that certainly didn’t help matters.

Stegeman’s a much improved facility since her last couple of renovations, and if they go through with the athletic department’s master plan, it’ll get a major facelift.

One reason it’s hard to argue for a new arena before the program improves is because the program’s never shown a need for a larger venue, as it is. Even still, schools our size do FINE with arenas of comprable size and stature. It’s not the arena; Dennis is a nice enough guy, and with the cards he was dealt, he did a fine job. But we need to go another level and Dennis’ Dogs are about 2-3 years too late for that.

Incidentally, to to onlineathens.com and do a search for the athletic depts’ master plan to see Stegeman plans. They call for, essentially glassing in the areas outside the arena where the roof hangs over the side of the building to expand the concourse. Beautiful stuff… that and some brighter lighting over the seats, and the ‘Steg’s a fine place to play.

By Joshua

January 19, 2009 2:26 AM | Link to this

If Georgia starts playing good, like the Hawks did in the playoffs last year. Mark Bradley whole attitude against Felton will change, don’t believe me?? Ask Mike Woodson. Mark Bradley is two faced and want answer questions..

Once again Mark why don’t you write one of these things about Mike Woodson??

By JR

January 19, 2009 3:25 AM | Link to this

First, if UGA never won another game in anything it would please me because you have no idea what sportsmanship is about. However, I do think Felton will bring you a winner if you keep him. SO get rid of him now and start over, I need the laugh!

By Michael

January 19, 2009 3:58 AM | Link to this

I don’t think Felton’s problem is getting big-time talent to commit to Georgia (Lou Williams, Mike Mercer). I think he just can’t keep them there. I don’t know if he picks the good players that have bad attitudes or is more strict than most coaches, but he has gotten some good players in.

After the Harrick mess, I’m still all for keeping Dennis around for a few more years. We know he won’t put up with crap for long, and that’s saying something in college. It does hurt to see the big-time in-state talent go elsewhere, but I don’t think UGA should have a revolving door on the basketball coach’s job every 5 years.

By jimmyingainesville

January 19, 2009 4:51 AM | Link to this

Dear Mr. Adams and Mr. Evans,

It’s Time. Listen to the voices of the faithful. How much do you expect us to take? It’s pitiful, it’s awful, its sickening, it’s outrageous, it’s criminal…. why do you keep Dennis Felton? I wouldn’t keep him one more game. I’d send a message to all that you won’t put up with poor recruiting, coaching and basement level performances. Are you going to let him kill the program and forfeit what little we do have? Do you read the blogs and sense that the fans have had enough? WHY WON’T YOU DO IT? Is it friendship? Is it money? Is it lack of courage? Why? Why? Why? If this were any other place but Georgia Dennis Felton would have been gone two years ago.

I’ve given up on Pro Sports (haven’t watched a Hawks/Falcons/Braves/Thrasher complete game in three years). I’m near that point with the University of Georgia … why watch such a pitiful and dreadful effort. LOOK AT THE RESULTS …. HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE NEED FOR CHANGE? DO IT NOW … DO IT TODAY … DON’T WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE. FIRE DENNIS FELTON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Life Will Go On!

January 19, 2009 6:58 AM | Link to this

Hey BeachGABulldawg - If you’re really a UGA basketball fan then you would know Dominique Wilkins was not on the team that went to the final four! He left early.Get your facts straight before you sound like a fool! Do you remember Vern Fleming, Terry Fair, Hugh Durham?

By Florida Dawg

January 19, 2009 7:35 AM | Link to this

The ONLY thing we should worry about and plan to correct, is Georgia beating FLORIDA in FOOTBALL…nothing else matters.

By Bill

January 19, 2009 7:41 AM | Link to this

TUBBY SMITH!!! Enough said!!!

By JackP

January 19, 2009 7:43 AM | Link to this

By catlady

January 19, 2009 7:59 AM | Link to this

• Get a coach 2. Recruit players who are true students, with good grades and SATscores (shows they have pride, self-discipline). Discipline in one area leads to discipline in another.
  • By Rickdawg

January 19, 2009 8:02 AM | Link to this

Fire Felton Now!

By Clay

January 19, 2009 8:04 AM | Link to this

I was at the UGA vs Kentucky fiasco yesterday and noticed that Felton doesn’t even lift his rear end off the bench to coach anymore. He just sat there and rarely stood up to address any of players about anything. The Georgia players look completely lost on offense and don’t have anything remotely resembling an offensive play. This is the lowest point for UGA basketball in the past 35 years. Damon Evans needs to go ahead and fire Felton right now just to let the Bulldog faithful know that the university is dedicated to rebuilding the basketball program.

By Tucker

January 19, 2009 8:12 AM | Link to this

The problem is to find a coach good enough to do better than Felton, but not to divert any worship from Richt. Most coaches better than Felton want to be the top dog (pardon the expression) at their school.

By sanddbag

January 19, 2009 8:13 AM | Link to this

Thank you Mark - I have been on a two week rant about the sorry state of the UGA men’s basketball program. Do you think Evans could offer Sean Miller the job and make him the highest paid coach in the SEC so he won’t use the position as a stepping stone? The problem I see is without the financial commitment, a competent coach will just use this job as a resume builder. It’s time for this Athletic Department to use the ridiculous surplus funds wisely and make the commitment with a top flight coach who is well compensated with a plan to renovate / build a new facility.

By JD

January 19, 2009 8:14 AM | Link to this

How can any coach recruit to play at that old coliseum? And what of Landers. His lady’s program has disappeared.

By TechBuzz

January 19, 2009 8:21 AM | Link to this

Tech and UGa both suck and need coaching changes ASAP. Both programs should at least be competitive in their conferences, but are not. One good fluke season for each coach is not enough to keep a job. Around the U.S. in mid-major schools, there are tons of good coaches would would jump at either job. These ADs need to make a move right now and get some competent coaches in place.

By The GODFATHER

January 19, 2009 8:22 AM | Link to this

We all agree that Felton should be axed.Now let us see if Adams will let Damon do his job.Fat Chance. President Adams- remember the last time you butted in and hired you buddy Harick? You (adams) helped put us in this mess-Please do all georgia alumni,fans and family a favor-RESIGN,get another job- just leave and take D.Felton with you.Not since the days of John Guthrie has the program sufferd so much(I was there-unfortunatley).To coach felton my advice would be to get another chaplain for the team(Felton is an atheist) and start to pray-its never to late to repent.

By The GODFATHER

January 19, 2009 8:22 AM | Link to this

By Robert

January 19, 2009 8:28 AM | Link to this

It’s not the coach it’s the players. Keep rotating players untill you have the right combination. Just because a player is supposed to be good doesn’t mean that he is.

By wilddawg

January 19, 2009 8:34 AM | Link to this

Bradley what about Bob Knight. Think he would come out of retirement to save UGA. He did make Texas Tech competitive.

By Jack Stilton

January 19, 2009 8:35 AM | Link to this

I thought Felton was going to be fired at half time yesterday. UGA couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn Sunday, while the best shooter was sitting on the bench. The Croatian kid is the best shooter on the team and he didn’t see action until 3 minutes left in the game.

By Phildo

January 19, 2009 8:55 AM | Link to this

Watching UGAG lose is always enjoyable, but the reality is that they need to dump Felton. Same with Tech and Hewitt, but he probably bought another year or two of blase mediocrity with the upcoming signing class (dammit). Hewitt, a nice guy, is no better than his beloved predecessor at his worst.

By David

January 19, 2009 8:57 AM | Link to this

I won’t say anything personally but let’s just say he will get what he deserves. He has no clue how to “build” a program which means selling EVERYONE you meet on Georgia Basketball. You have to sell excitment to every person you meet and he just doesn’t have it.

By Rick S

January 19, 2009 8:58 AM | Link to this

There is no question at all it’s time for Felton to go but why prolong the inevitable- do it now! This is the most pathetic Basketball team in Georgia History and the Womens program is not far behind! Andy Landers should be congratulated on winning 800 games but now it’s time for a change in leading the Womens program!

By David

January 19, 2009 9:04 AM | Link to this

MArk, you don’t build a BIGGER arena but you build one that gives you a home court advantage and one that shows you are committed to basketball. Every other sport has shown that but basketball. Even if we get a new coach and he does well, he will leave if we don’t put the commitment behind him. It is time to make a statement.

By ThaMan

January 19, 2009 9:23 AM | Link to this

It’s Bush’s fault!

By TheItalianDawg

January 19, 2009 9:31 AM | Link to this

I agree, Felton should be fired, no doubt about it. we should invest in big time coach who can bring GA basketball to elite status in the SEC, I dont see why not!! In fact Georgia is equipped to success, huge fan base, a state that produces top talented players and not much competition with instate schools over this talent, and last but not least a newly finished state of the art training facilities.

By StockDog

January 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Link to this

When I talked about demolishing Stegman, I don’t want an 18,000 seat stadium to replace it. An 8-10,000 seat stadium with luxury boxes would be ideal. The stadium needs to be replaced irregardless of the coach.

As for the coach, he needs to go. There are some good coaches out there in the Mid-Major conferences, it is a matter of finding the right one. Felton’s days are numbered (Deadman Walking).

By CKDAWG!

January 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Link to this

I was at the Game yesterday and decided I wouldnt root for UGA basketball unitl Felton is fired. The Team on the floor yesterday was probably the worst performance I’ve seen. Someone Explain our offense? or letting Meeks drive through 4 people for a lay up. Pathetic! It might be too late to get tubby back. But we need to get an up and coming coach who wants to run and press! That attracts kids these days. Look at the style of play from Tenn and Louisville.

By Maddog

January 19, 2009 9:39 AM | Link to this

By Dawg Fud

January 19, 2009 9:45 AM | Link to this

Coach Felton is a good & decent man. I hate to see him struggle. He does things the right way. Unfortunately, the coaching profession only measures success in wins and losses.

Felton is not getting the job done. He will be replace at the end of the season. Florida and Tennesee’s successes have exacerbated Georgia’s atheltics department’s patience.

By wreckmaniac

January 19, 2009 9:49 AM | Link to this

Richt on this and that ? Is that all there is to talk about ? UGA football now is about as useless a topic as “KNOW YOUR DAWGS”. Good grief. Give it a rest. ITS BORING. 08 was a gigantic failure so get OVER IT. Other schools have moved on to other relevant topics such as basketball which surprizingly is the topic of this blog. UGA fans would drive to Athens to take a look at a pimple on a third team football players butt so they could blog on how bad it is.

By Mark Bradley

January 19, 2009 9:57 AM | Link to this

About Sean Miller: Again, I think Xavier would now be regarded as a better job than Georgia.

By wreckmaniac

January 19, 2009 10:01 AM | Link to this

I would rather have a ring thru my nose with a 45-42 score inscribed on it than be featured in the AJC’s KNOW YOUR DAWGS. Why aren’t the basketball players being featured on KNOW YOUR DAWGS ? Its unfair.

By Michael

January 19, 2009 10:04 AM | Link to this

Mark, obviously there have been many on here calling for Evans to try and get Tubby to come back. While I think he’s a great coach and would certainly be an upgrade over Felton, what do you think is the likelihood of that actually happening?

On the surface it seems like he’d be a slam dunk choice (pun intended), but when you look at it a little closer, maybe he’s not. Tubby turns 58 years old this year, which admittedly is not ancient, but it’s not 35-40 either. I think the best we could hope to get out of Tubby is 5-7 years before he starts thinking about hanging it up for good. At which point he’d hopefully have the program on solid footing for the next guy, but given where we are today, it may take longer than that.

UGA basketball needs someone that can establish an extended period of competing on the highest level in order to really be in position to think about taking the next step of replacing Stegeman and keeping all of this top tier talent in state. Can Tubby stick around long enough to ensure that gets done and leave the program in the best possible shape for the next guy? I’m not so sure. Your thoughts?

By Steve

January 19, 2009 10:06 AM | Link to this

But if UGA fires Felton, it will be racist right? They bust out the race card at every chance they get.

By Equal Opportunity

January 19, 2009 10:07 AM | Link to this

Basketball, unlike football, is not a priority with me. However, having said that, it seems to me that if they, Damon Evans, Michael Adams & whoever else, can justify keeping an incompetent like Willie Martinez around, then surely they can justify keeping Felton around. So far as coaching ability goes, one seems to mirror the other. Of course, Dennis Felton doesn’t have Mark Richt to whine and moan in his behalf, like Martinez does, when things go wrong.

By Mark Bradley

January 19, 2009 10:11 AM | Link to this

I don’t think Tubby would come back. Minnesota cares more about basketball than Georgia does, and he’s making too much money and having too much fun with the Gophers.

By Denver dog

January 19, 2009 10:19 AM | Link to this

Since this is about basketball, I will keep it on that subject. This is a fine University with great fans and a great setting. It is pretty simple, the coach gets paid to win. I would rather see a bunch of bunglers running around on the court giving it all the have fro 40 minutes, than a bunch of superstars not putting forth and effort.

Damon Evans and compmany will make the right choices, and it really doesn’t matter what I say. I feel if they go through and have a losing season, then the coach will have a very short lease, and likely will be canned. The bottom line is it doesn’t matter what our goals are, it matters if the coach meets whatever goals Evans and co have put on him, and his results towards those goals.

By The Voice

January 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Link to this

Is Dennis Felton a good and decent man? Maybe so but he is not good for Georgia because he has never embraced Georgia. His first move was to remove the red and black from his office. Then in the midst of an 8-20 season an article appears in AJC discussing the time he spends on selecting his wardrobe. Seems to me if over the years he had spent more time on basketball and less time on interior decorating and less time looking in the mirror and stroking his ego then Georgia basketball might be in better shape. We can point fingers and blame Adams for causing the problem or even Dooley for not stepping up to the plate and giving Tubby a reason to stay, but that’s water under the bridge. What we need is for Damon and Adams to step up and fix the problem today. One other thing….if our fans would exercise half the passion about hoops they show when it comes to football this would have been fixed a long time ago. We certainly would have demanded change if football had ever been this bad.

By Red GA Dawg

January 19, 2009 10:29 AM | Link to this

Bye bye Felton!

Shoulda, woulda, coulda - you had a long chance, at least a new face will give hope!

By joe blow

January 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Link to this

Time for a change! by the name of Tubby Smith

By simplythe truth

January 19, 2009 10:48 AM | Link to this

Damon Evans?…hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

By Dogbyte

January 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Link to this

Dennis Felton is a good man and he did a good job of cleaning up the program and trying to instill some discipline into an undisciplined mess. But, he has been given his chance to recruit blue-chippers and coach the rest. He has failed. Sorry Dennis, it’s time to go.

By Anthony

January 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Link to this

I know it is very frustrating for Felton and the bulldog basketball fans. I probably agree that is is time for a new coach for the bulldogs. Although the bulldogs won the SEC last year, Felton probably should have been fired. It would have been a very bold move taken by the AD, but it would have been a less stressful season for all. At midseason, we are talking about firing the coach of the reigning SEC champs. If Felton was not fired after last season, I think he deserves the rest of the season to coach. And probably next season. As disappointing as the season went for football, I hear no one asking that Richt be fired. Felton’s team has been picked to finish near the bottom or at the bottom every year. Richt’s team was picked to play for a national championship, and they did not play for the SEC title. I know we are not comparing apples to oranges, but we are talking about athletics and coaches in the SEC where coaches are paid millions to win. Compare the salaries of the two men. One is being paid to put a competitive team on the floor and ocassionally win an SEC title. The other is paid to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

By cap

January 19, 2009 11:28 AM | Link to this

I think everyone’s missing the point here. The question is not whether Felton (or Andy Landers for that matter) should go. That’s way too obvious. The question is why are they still here?

Any successful athletic program - college or pro - begins with a talented adminstrator at the helm, one that can make tough decisions and recruit the right coaches to ensure success (see Jeremy Foley UF or Thomas Dimitroff Atl Falcons).

Damon Evans is a lightweight among his peers, handed the job with little or no experience after assisting Vince Dooley for several years. Mark Richt, Suzanne Yoculan, David Perno, Manuel Diaz and Jack Baurle were already successfully established coaches when Evans took over. What has he done sine then? Very little. UGA’s athletic program is one of the biggest revenue producers in the country and the most profitable. Shouldn’t we hire an athletic director of the same magnitude before we start making personnel decisions?

Note to new AD: Can we please get a football defensive coordinator with some measurable qualification other than being the head coach’s college roomate?

By brewdawg

January 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Link to this

Tennessee proved that you can turn a moribund program around with the right hire. What I don’t understand is why UGA doesn’t care more about basketball. You can be a football school first and still have a good basketball team. However, UGA will never be able to even think about attracting most top prospects until the Steg is gone. There is no reason for that thing to still be around. I don’t know, I’m just frustrated because there is no reason with all the basketball talent in this state for UGA not to be in the running for an NCAA berth every year.

By DirtyDawg

January 19, 2009 11:42 AM | Link to this

Chickens and eggs…vicious cycle…you name it. It all feeds off each other. BBall at Georgia never draws unless they win…you can’t win if you can’t recruit…you can’t recruit if you can’t impress young men with a half-filled (if we’re lucky) coliseum - unless you can ‘con’ em into joining your program in order to make history, and that takes drive and charisma, which, I’m afraid Coach Felton just doesn’t have. Tubby had it and if paid off, basically because he was able to deliver. He brought in the talent, he excited the fans, he won games. He made going to Georgia basketball games fun to do because you knew going in you had a better than even chance of going away happy - that is, a winner.

Unless we can get somebody that can convince the young men across the state that they can be part of something truly special. That they can be the ones that fulfill, once and for all, the potential basketball preeminence of both the state of Georgia and the University, then you’re gonna have empty seats, mediocre players and losing teams. Yeah, they ‘won’ the SEC tourney last year, and guess what, nobody got to see it. The fans couldn’t go to the games because of the storm and some silly decision about who could get into the Big T** after they moved it to 10th street. Dennis Felton ain’t that guy and he needs to move on. I wish him well, but if we’re gonna try and do the school proud we’ve got to get somebody in here that can whip up the masses. Then you have to deal with the fact that nobody wants to come and coach at a place where you couldn’t give away tickets and fill the house. Tubby just might do it (if you offered him enough money) if for no other reason than to prove to himself that he never should have left and can beat UK a couple of times a year - that’ll show the racist SOBs.

By Hoop Master

January 19, 2009 12:10 PM | Link to this

The problem with Dennis Felton is that he is lazy, and he like’s the spotlight on him. He has so many coaches and managers doing the work for him that he never really developes any relationships with his players. The players really don’t like the him. I was at a game a three years ago and was sitting by a relative of Levy Stukes who made the comment, “If I were Toney or Mercer’s parents I would get my kid out of this program asap.” He said, “Levy came to Georgia and became the same player he was in high school!” Felton is in this for selfish purposes. The best team Felton has had at Georgia was Harrick’s team. Damon Evans has kept him here because they are friends and Evans brought him in. But believe this. He will be gone very soon!

By Randy

January 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Link to this

Tubby Smith, Tubby Smith, Tubby Smith!

By Knelson

January 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Link to this

Tubby goes to Minn, and they are successful. Tennessee goes out and gets a quality coach and they become an over night success! Just because UGA plays basketball in a barn doesnt mean you cannot get a quality coach. This squad is not even competitive against anyone ! Vandy brings more tan Ga , year in and year out !

By dawgbbfan

January 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Link to this

I was at the game yesterday and all I can say is if Kentucky had played thier “A” game the difference would have easily been 50 points. The Dawgs didnt play on either side of the ball. Not sure I can say Felton needs to go, but I can say without doubt, if we are ever going have a basketball program at UGA again, it’ll have to be with something different than we brought to the floor yesterday against Kentucky.

By dawgbbfan

January 19, 2009 12:57 PM | Link to this

By dawgbbfan

January 19, 2009 12:57 PM | Link to this

I was at the game yesterday and all I can say is if Kentucky had played thier “A” game the difference would have easily been 50 points. The Dawgs didnt play on either side of the ball. Not sure I can say Felton needs to go, but I can say without doubt, if we are ever going have a contending basketball program at UGA again, it’ll have to be with something different than we brought to the floor yesterday against Kentucky.

By route66

January 19, 2009 1:32 PM | Link to this

Because we won the S.E.C. championship last year we kept Felton on as coach.Players never seem to improve under him.(Albert Jackson)for instance.What would our record be with the same players but with a Coach K,Williams,Tubby or any number of other coaches?In the end it all comes down to coaching.

By fresh

January 19, 2009 2:16 PM | Link to this

felton must go now! his team quit on him against kentucky. his big men are soft as butter and his guards are pitiful. but he has at least five good players who he never plays together at the same time.thompkins, ware, woodbury, leslie, and the guy from serbia should see some more playing time. also play mcphee and brewer as outside shooters. they cant be any worse than zac and butler.

By fresh

January 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Link to this

i think lou williams made a great choice not coming to georgia. so did derrick favors, meeks, deqaun jones, ralph sampson jr. glen rice jr. tony woods, aminu, richard howell,

By Bruce's Boy

January 19, 2009 2:26 PM | Link to this

News flash to the hoops dogs….you weren’t SEC champions…you were SEC tournament champions. Tennessee won the SEC regular season and was the highest seeded SEC team in the tourney next year. UGA did buy Felton another year with the fluke tourney win…so keep popping off about “winning” the SEC if it makes you feel better..

By Simple Conclusion

January 19, 2009 4:20 PM | Link to this

Call Tubby and ask him “How is the weather in Minnesota?” Come back to Athens ….. ….. we love you, new training facilities, not the pressure cooker of KY, fabulous in-state talent, and many of the same people involved and many of your friends praying that you come back “home”. Felton is simply not the man for the job! He has been given the support and plenty of time. This year’s squad is an embarrassment while getting blown out by a pre-conference schedule that was weak and now by the SEC which does not have a Top 20 team! This should be an easy decision to move in another direction.

By Dog in Fla

January 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Link to this

Why would an excellent basketball coach even want to come to Athens?

Even if a prospective coach could put aside the fact that the program is down and out and has historically been that way, the Stegosaurus was an outdated arena when I was at UGA in the late ‘70’s.

I would be shocked, just shocked, to think that the building has improved much since that time. Why would a replacement coach want to have his recruiting hamstrung by facilities that do not measure up to those of competing schools?

Mr. Evans won’t find an established coach. He will find another young, up and coming coach who, like Coach Felton before him, has great promise upon hiring.

By fresh

January 19, 2009 5:27 PM | Link to this

georgia doesn”t need a tubby reunion tour, although he his a great coach. they need to go and get the best and hottest young coach out there. his name is anthony grant and he coaches vcu. he also was an a coach for the fla gators. he teams play up tempo ball. this guy is legit.

By TW

January 19, 2009 5:28 PM | Link to this

No recruit will choose our gym over any other. The venue is horrible. Until we do something about this, we will not get the talent we seek. Saddling Felton with this is the only mark against him - he is an outstanding coach. Should he leave Athens, he will have huge success at a school that works with him in bringing in talent.

Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.

By Burning Red

January 19, 2009 5:50 PM | Link to this

YOU’VE HAD YOUR CHANCE FELTON AND YOU TRIED WE APPERCIATE THAT BUT BACK YOUR BAGS MAN WE GOT THE MONEY GET US SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING PLEASE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO DAWGS

By Floridaflyer

January 19, 2009 8:02 PM | Link to this

the Article was posted on our site. Brian Gregory has put together a fine young team at Dayton and has some great recruits coming in. He should go Dancing a lot in the future. I doubt he would leave, even though Georga is a BCS school. but you never know

By Felton Fan

January 19, 2009 11:05 PM | Link to this

I hope Felton gets an extension, he and UGA are a match made in heaven. Hopefully he retires from the UGA job years from now.

By Brooks

January 21, 2009 12:57 PM | Link to this

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT FELTON IS AN ATHEIST?

By Hoop Master

January 21, 2009 3:37 PM | Link to this

Brooks, I have heard that from some of his players. He run the guys extra hard and yell stuff like “Where’s your God now!!”

By buckheadbill

January 22, 2009 1:06 PM | Link to this

Please stop blaming the Coliseum for our problems. Stegeman is fine for basketball. There is no better place with a full house with 50% of the crowd students. Coach Harrick’s violations are minor compared to the things that Coach K has done and not been charged with any violations. Of course, Harrick didn’t have big mouth Dick Vitale for a lawyer. OHHHHH, OHHHHH, Coach K.

By Nashville Dawg

January 22, 2009 7:40 PM | Link to this

Felton is a good man, but we need a change. He does not understand how to operate a large program. This is not WKU. We have great talent, but absolutely no coaching. Felton has proven this is not going to change.

I am a die hard UGA fan and watch every dawg sporting event I can. That said, I retrospectively look back on a decision I made last Sunday with great sadness - for the first time in a long time I had no interest whatsoever in tuning into the UGA/UK matchup. My decision was confirmed when I turned on the TV at appx. 12:50 to see Zac Swansey toss in our 19th point of the half as the first period expired. After that, I turned off the TV.

It is not our players - we have a great deal of talent. But, just as it was time for a change for the highest job in America, it is time for a new coach at Georgia. Yes, Damon Evans, you can!

By Joel in ATL

January 24, 2009 1:23 AM | Link to this

Did read all the comments so i may repeat something but…

Dennis Felton is doiing exactly what UGA wants. Recruit the “good boys” and keep the program clean. This is what you get when you can’t land top talent. This years Felton Felines would be a player late into the Sun Belt Confrence season and that is the kind of coah Felton is…a mid-major. I know a lot of you will not like this but Coach Harrick keep the Georgia boys in the state, it was a non-georgia arrogant and jealous @$$ (I knew him so I’m speaking truth) that …you know the rest. Felton would have been on the way out had a tornado not saved him and yes this team just can’t do it do I need to continue. Another that UGA people will never own up to is…THEY DON”T CARE ABOUT BASKETBALL!!! UGA is about what happens between the hedges, they will NEVER land the big recruits,( and if they somehow had lighting on their side that big recruit will only play one season and Felton doesn’t recruit those, he can’t) basketball passes time until football, so write it down, Felton will be back next season because as they (UGA) will say at season end he “we feel our basketball program had a young team that can improve with the upcoming talent and roster that has shown growth through a tough conference schedule with the youth we had”. What’s so funny is the SEC is bad this year and UGA is the worst of them hands down. 9-9 going into today, they will finish 12-20, book it!!

When is spring practice starting? Right about time basketball finishes, that’s by design folks.

Commenting is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F