Radio & TV TalkRadio & TV Talk

Access Atlanta > Entertainment > Radio Talk > Archives > 2008 > August > 21 > Entry

8/22: Matt Chernoff joins the Rude Awakening on the Fan

chernoff.jpg

Matt Chernoff, long-time 790/the Zone guy until December 2007, has joined rival 680/the Fan with Christopher Rude and Perry Laurentino.

He did a tryout in June, then another recently. Obviously, it worked out well for him.

Chernoff starts Sept. 2.

He still does Sports Night with Comcast in the evenings. “He knows the local teams well,” said Fan General Manager David Dickey. “He’s a well known very capable addition to the Rude Awakening. What he brings is additional local presence and sports expertise to the show. He’s all about sports and he’s a hard-working guy. He fits in the 680 culture.”

“This beats work doing TV and radio,” Chernoff said. “I’m happy they’ve given me this opportunity. They’re in a great position already. Hopefully, I can complement Perry and Chris.”

He said his selling point is not only his football expertise but his local ties. He’s a true native.

As soon as his noncompete expired in late spring, the Fan has been chasing him. Will working for his former rival be an issue for him? “No. I was never in that mindset. There was never any ill will toward them from me”

-Rick Mack, a former GM for V-103 and sales manager for Kicks/True Oldies, has been named the new general manager at Star 94, taking over for Mark Kanov, who was at the station for 40 years until last month.

Permalink | Comments (74) |

Comments

Commenting is now closed for this entry.

By Yawn

August 21, 2008 9:38 PM | Link to this

Great, Steak Jr. is back on the air. Chernoff, like his bald mentor, has more hair than talent.

By RTibbs

August 21, 2008 10:36 PM | Link to this

So I guess the divorce cover-up was not true. Previously they sat Nick and Chuck when they were going through divorces. Perhaps lower income equals lower payouts.

790 was foolish to let Chernoff go. I don’t get the Steak comment. He is far better than brisket head. Good pick-up 680. Mayhem is almost a lost cause some days. Let Chernoff go for Fat Tongue and the Weasly Canuck is mind-boggling. Plus 680 has added the Dan Reeves show one night a week and Leo Mazzone. Someone is a sleep at the wheel. Is it Mat Edga? Probably Brisket and Salsa.

By David C

August 21, 2008 10:49 PM | Link to this

I’m hoping this is the last nail in 790’s mornings shows coffin. 790 gives 30 minutes of bs an hour. 15 minutes worth listening to. 5-15, 25-35, 45-55 and the rest is commercials. And Rodney must be taking money under the table since he won’t report ratings for shows. Same old Atlanta. No competition. Cover up BS

By Rodney Ho

August 22, 2008 12:07 AM | Link to this

David C: Cover up? What shows’ ratings do you want?

By Marvin

August 22, 2008 6:49 AM | Link to this

I stopped listening to 790 because the 2 Live Stews are so racially motivated. If you can get past all of their BS it’s a great show and they are a huge talent but I don’t need to hear all the crap that goes with it. I’ll gladly listen to 680 if they have a more objective opinion and not slanted by race one way or the other. Just sports baby!

By C

August 22, 2008 7:50 AM | Link to this

I really think 790 has lost a step or two since Chernoff left. In all areas of the day except for drive time and after. He’s fast and clear, knows his stuff, but can still be entertaining. In this listeners opinion, let Dennis Scott have the 2Live Stews slot. I’m still wondering why Doug Stweart has developed this huge chip on his shoulder and has began to disown anything Atlanta related. Lame.

By Abe

August 22, 2008 8:06 AM | Link to this

Sounds like 790 really dropped the ball.

From what I hear, Matt Edgar has been too busy drunk texting Jen Hobby to worry about his job.

By jeffv

August 22, 2008 8:20 AM | Link to this

I like Chernoff a lot, but I don’t ant him replacing Perry, who is why I listen to 680. Regarding Steak, his pretentious name droppping ways, along with all the sophmoric references about partying and drinking, are why I don’t listen to 790

By Chris

August 22, 2008 8:38 AM | Link to this

I love the Afternoon Saloon on 790, ya’ll should check it out.

Buck and Kinkade used to be my guys but now they are like the Golden Girls compared to The Kang, Mike Bell and Hometeam.

By The Truth

August 22, 2008 8:56 AM | Link to this

Not trying to be Mel (Mr. Negative) here but Atlanta sports talk continues to tumble. Chernoff is absymal and tries to act like the little nerdy frat boy you could not understand why he is hanging around. His knowledge is not that good at all except for stating the obvious. 790’s decisions on the other hand are the bigger story. Have you noticed that every time they put Chris Dimino on a show the ratings drop. He is very boring and over analyzes everything. Taking Bell off the mornings was there worse mistake as the chemistry was there. Steak should just go into sales period. Doug STewart continues to have the race chip on his shoulder and the King is just a SEC homer who states the obvious. You are sinking boys and you need to get it together. 680 is not much better.

I am not going to keep harping on this but I will tell you like I have before. This is why I have gone to XM very the variety and entertainment in sports talk is there. Trust me everybody, you will love it and no, I do not work for XM.

By CP

August 22, 2008 8:57 AM | Link to this

Chernoff is irritating! He was on 790 and will also be on 680.

By Tattletale Strangler

August 22, 2008 9:25 AM | Link to this

If it wasn’t for Rodney we’d know nothing about what goes on behind the scenes of ATL radio. Unbelievable…

By Nopigs21

August 22, 2008 9:35 AM | Link to this

First, I love 790 over 680 at any time except when the 2 live stews are on and i’m a black male native of Atlanta. Second, I’m happy for Chernoff. I loved him and The Kang together and I wish he was still there. He will add some real sports talk and take away from the no-sports-knowledge-at-all Rude and the i’m-a-yankee-so-i’m-always-right Perry. I think it’s a great move for 680.

By shroomwelte

August 22, 2008 9:35 AM | Link to this

Chernoff knows his sports. This is a great pickup for 680. Respect.

By TPM

August 22, 2008 9:39 AM | Link to this

Matt Chernoff is always prepared and very personable. I just wish he would drop the catch phrase ” at the end of the day” from his vocalbulary.

If Perry Laurentino talks about his family’s AT&T plan one more time I will delete the 680 button from my car.

By I'mRickJamesB

August 22, 2008 10:05 AM | Link to this

Congrats Matt -

Good to see you back on the air. Now as far as local talent. Love the 2 Live Stews(they need more sports talk, less Frat stuff -I’m in a Frat)You’re adults now, let college life go. Rude Awaken, love Chris, like Perry(Perry supported bush, he’s dumb). Mayhem in the AM(Morning show sucks). Buck and Kincaid(like listen to foxnews/and UGA and philly sucks. the best show is Colin Cowherd……………..

the so-call “kang” of college football, get a life and stop watching high school boys play football. there’s more to this world besides snellville and auburn. stop being so damn regional………….before the sec was great, the best football players played in the SWAC and MEAC conference(if you don’t know, read your history)……I’m Rick James B

By I'mRickJamesB

August 22, 2008 10:09 AM | Link to this

Congrats Matt -

By thegoodword

August 22, 2008 11:29 AM | Link to this

Rude is a pervert and desperately needs to get laid. Everytime they have a weather girl on he spews in his shorts. He has no knowledge of any sport, he talks about girly issues and is clearly a puppy homer. (I would be embarrassed to have him as a fellow dog fan). Some days I feel like I’m listening to The View for cryin out loud! STFU Rude and get off the air. Perry and Chernoff could do a much better job by themselves. Damn I’m angry!

By RK

August 22, 2008 12:14 PM | Link to this

I wonder if Chernoff will fake animosity towards another co-host, just like he did with the Kang. Unlistenable whenever he did that.

By Regan

August 22, 2008 12:41 PM | Link to this

I can get what the 2 LIVE BROs deliver to sports on a ride on the MARTA Train.

By JD

August 22, 2008 12:54 PM | Link to this

This is a good move for 680. I liked Chernoff when he was on in the afternoons on 790. He can get a little overbearing at times, but the one thing you could bet on is that he knew his material. He might have ranted on a few topics, but that, to me, shows he has a passion for sports (and, more specifically, ATLANTA sports). Give me a guy who’s gonna stick to the sports angle instead of someone that’s gonna go on a diatribe about how the Olympics suck; we should only be concerned about American sports. Leave politics out of sports and just play…

By JayH.

August 22, 2008 1:28 PM | Link to this

Chernoff is good when he is talking sports, like during his audition. His problem is ‘playing grab-ass’ when he’s real comfortable, like he constantly did with Chuck Oliver. Hopefully he will reign it in.

By JayH.

August 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Link to this

I hope Chernoff doesn’t play grab-ass like he used to with Chuck Oliver. That got old real quick.

By jesushelf

August 22, 2008 2:47 PM | Link to this

I thought T Martin was joining them. Holy crap batman-another refurb. can’t they find something new? this is like the Braves-recycled people.

By jenna

August 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Link to this

I like chernoff and he is a native. why does rob tribble not get to move up from doing updates? he is funny and pretty versatile, he does a political show as well.

By malik

August 22, 2008 3:10 PM | Link to this

Nice stroke by 680. Chernoff is very good. But why doesnt rob trible get a shot to host? he is very bright and his updates are very unique.

By Jim

August 22, 2008 3:29 PM | Link to this

Chernoff is an arrogant, irritating jock-sniffer…and he dumped his wife and kid.

By JeanE

August 22, 2008 5:25 PM | Link to this

I’m glad, I always enjoyed Chernoff when he was on 790 & the replacement show with Brandon & Wolvie (sp?) is absolutely atrocious!! I can’t listen to those 2 morons & I don’t care for the national espn stuff on 680 during that time either. I just hope Chernoff doesn’t displace Perry b/c I really like him, they were great when Finn was on with them. I can’t get a very strong signal on 790 anymore, what’s up with that? Also, I agree with whoever said moving M. Bell from the mornings & Mayhem was a BIG mistake!! I rarely have time to catch the afternoon saloon but when I do, I enjoy it. It’s horrible without Bell in the mornings, Chris Dimino is the single most annoying talk show guy I have ever heard!! How does that guy have a job? He’s full out himself, know it all blowhard who is boring! Who cares if he knows every baseball stat there is…And Steak, well forget it. At least Bell made him tolerable, now the 3 of those yahoos are unlistenable (sorry Nick, I do like you but can’t get past those other dweebs)!!

By JeanE

August 22, 2008 5:27 PM | Link to this

By Da Grinch

August 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Link to this

Chernoff is a great addition to 680. The 2 live Stews are the greatest thing to happen to talk radio in Atlanta. Doug and Ryan keep up the good work!!!

By obiwansolo

August 22, 2008 6:20 PM | Link to this

I love Matt and he was the best when he was with “THE KING”, maybe one day we will get to see them reunited on 680. They are like peanut butter and jelly, good apart but something great together.

790 has lost me with the “Two Live Stews” and the advertisment filled morning show. I love the local feel to 680 and i wish them the best and I think Chernoff is going to be the final ingredient for the “Rude Awakening”

By old school

August 22, 2008 6:40 PM | Link to this

Any one remember the North and South show on 680? That show was the best.

By ADL

August 22, 2008 7:04 PM | Link to this

Screw all of them and get Mike & Mike!!!!

By bernard rolax

August 22, 2008 7:10 PM | Link to this

I just got the word on MATT and i knew it was coming and watch how he will try to take over the show just ask BIG CHUCK SMITH, I guess will start listening to TJMS now that old boy will be paired with RUDD AND PERRY. HE’S LEACH JUST WATCH.

By bernard rolax

August 22, 2008 7:10 PM | Link to this

By Gregg

August 22, 2008 7:29 PM | Link to this

Reality is that sports talk in Atlanta is not only biased, it’s not very informative or entertaining - regardless of the station.

If it were not for the ESPN relationship, 680 would be off hte air. I’m not sure why 790 has not folded. Limited options keep poor performers in the game.

Were would we be without XM or Sirius..

By ezm

August 22, 2008 7:57 PM | Link to this

Good luck to Chernoff…he was an ok listen while he was at 790..the show that replaced him..Brandon and Woolvy on the other hand..HAS TO GO..its average at best, I have a running bet with people that when you turn to the 11-1 show…Brandon Adams at the return from a station break( geez like every 5 minutes on 790) will go through the station lineup at least TWICE during their air segment…hes a station hype man..he plays radio too much..and tries to hype EVERYTHING 790 does..maybe thats how he got his job..selling Andy and Steaks sponsors every chance he gets..Woolvy is ok..but he needs to become his own man instead of a Chris Dimino impression..pairing him with another co host is a start…just another point..I have said for YEARS that Mayhems BEST shows come when Steak Shapiro is NOT THERE…again listen to when he is there..the shows turn into ” Steak talk”..where Steak ate, whom Steak met..and can we pimp Stats some more..you only do it every other SECOND..and so on…bring BELL back..hes the glue that kept that show going if Steak REALLY cared about his station..he would take a lesser role..but hey you cant name drop, talk about your trophy wife and kids, and brag about your sports bar with the Big League staff..your ego has to submit the rest of Atlanta to it as well…

By ezm

August 22, 2008 7:59 PM | Link to this

By Dre

August 23, 2008 8:35 AM | Link to this

I keep’s it real, it is what it is, period..point blank, power for the people!

By care less

August 23, 2008 9:04 AM | Link to this

Who cares! Who listens to this mindless blather anyway?

I wouldn’t know Mr. Chernoff if he introduced himself!

Hi I’m Mr. Chernoff…..Who!

By Josh

August 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Link to this

Couple of comments:

1. Congrats to 680 for this move. This will make the morning show more interesting.

2. Addition to what poster “Chris” has said on this blog — as a long time Buck & Kincade fan, I do like that “Afternoon Saloon” show with the Kang, Home Team and Mike Bell. Those guys are edgier, funnier and (yes) are slightly younger. Buck and Kincade sound really old when they start talking of their kids, their chores at home and other assorted crap that makes them sound as if they were on ESPN Classic. They’re good when they talk sports only — once they get off t angent, they sound like The Golden Girls of radio. The poster, “Chris”, was absolutely right.

By Mark

August 23, 2008 2:04 PM | Link to this

Those n**** 2 Live Stews ought to be fired.

By J

August 23, 2008 3:20 PM | Link to this

1. To Mark we will pray for you!!

By K H

August 23, 2008 4:43 PM | Link to this

This should be a decent addition to the Rude Awakening. That show hasn’t been the same since Jamie Dukes left for the NFL Network!

By big JC

August 23, 2008 6:31 PM | Link to this

for my dollar, 790’s Afternoon Saloon is the best thing in/on Atlanta radio, AM or FM.

and everyday I thank my sweet sweet Jesus that in His infinite Zombie wisdom He took the The Stews out of the afternoon drivetime and out of my life forever.

oh, and on topic, Matt Chernov sucks.

He’s like Jim Rome’s less interesting dopperganger.

By Matt

August 23, 2008 9:40 PM | Link to this

680 has finally gotten wise and followed up on my email sent over a year ago … fans want to hear from players and coaches, not jock sniffers. Unfortanetly, there is no great talent (other than Neal Boortz) here in the Atlanta market worth listening to. Doubt there will ever be thanks to corporate ownership of radio stations .. much cheaper to go syndicated rather than local. B&K is barely tolerable but much better than anything on 790. 680 needs to put on a local show from 12 to 3 weekdays especially now that football season is kicking off (pardon the pun). As far as Chernoff being put on the morning show .. that’s a mistake. They should have given him the 12 to 3 timeslot. Morning shows don’t need three guys talking over each other. Maybe they’ll change the name of the show to “Three Guys Who Like To Hear Themselves Talk”. That show will now suffer in the ratings because of the addition. 790 needs to make it’s station more listenable across the board. Sure they out bill 680 but I can’t understand half the things are said on the air between their helter skelter morning show and the Stews in the afternoon. I guess English isn’t the official language anymore on 790. Both stations would be wise to go out and find an “entertainer” rather than a ordinary talker. Latley when I listen to B&K I keep thinking I’m hearing Norm & Cliff from Cheers.
If radio truely is “theater fo the mind”, Sports Radio here in Atlanta is like the dollar movie.

By Joe

August 24, 2008 11:26 AM | Link to this

I listened to those “tryouts” and didn’t like what I heard. I think it’s going to be a bad hire.

By bonzo

August 24, 2008 11:28 AM | Link to this

Ruud is reasonably literate, but Lorentino is a blowhard who couldn’t carry the jock of the worst AM sports talking head in NYC, Philly, Boston. So the addition of Chernoff is a push…that show is still impossible to listen to, as is Steak’s, which has disintegrated into hyperbole, self-promotion, strip clubs…this is why God made XM radio.

By Mark

August 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Link to this

J

Save it. I don’t need your fvcking voodoo!!

By Jackman

August 24, 2008 6:50 PM | Link to this

Atlanta radio is pathetic. I gave up years ago, got a Sirius radio and never looked back. The NFL network and blue collar comedy channel keep me happy.

I hope the hordes of advertisers on 790 are getting a deal - they play more commercials than actually talk. And God forbid they may accidentally mention anything sports related during drive time…

By virgilshouse

August 24, 2008 7:20 PM | Link to this

good move….790 sucks anymore excepy afternoon saloon……….from 11 to 4 its awful

By GT 81

August 24, 2008 10:17 PM | Link to this

Rude is a funny dj, but he isn’t a sports fan. He rarely talks about sports, and when he does, he sounds like he’s trying to pretend that he enjoys them. Might as well have another sports guy in there, so perhaps some actual sports might get discussed.

By s. tony

August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Link to this

The only issue I have with Chernoff going to R.A. is that he will not be the point man. He’s a much better point man than he is as the ‘other’ guy on the show.

By John in AUstell

August 25, 2008 9:39 PM | Link to this

I must be a homer, because I listen to all of it. But I agree that 2 Live Stews starts to get old at times. I’ve turned away from them from time to time.

Welcome back, Chernoff. Why can’t we all get along? Oh, and SEC football is no joke. Ask Ohio State. they’ve had their ‘i’ dotted two years in a row by the SEC.

By Deke

August 26, 2008 7:17 AM | Link to this

So, at last the 680 morning sports talk show will have a host that actually knows something about sports?!?! BRILLIANT!!!

By DJ

August 26, 2008 10:13 AM | Link to this

I liked Matt Chernoff when he was on the Zone and I am glad he is back on the air, but I think its a bad move putting him on the Rude Awakening. I just don’t think his style will play well with the other two.

My question is how Jeff Wolverton and Brandon Adams have a show. I have traveled all around the country and hands down, its the worst radio I have heard. The Zone must be forfeiting the lunch time crowd. Personally, I like a little national flavor added into the day. Who needs “Live and Local” all day?

By Gary

August 26, 2008 1:54 PM | Link to this

I could care less about this hire. I listened when Matt was “trying” out a couple of weeks ago and he wasn’t all that great and really never has been. 680 the fan was good when they had Jamie Dukes on in the morning and Max Howell during the mid-day. Now they are not all that great. Buck and Kincaid are getting really hard to listen too. I like 790 because when they get away from sports, they go in a direction that is entertaining and fun. Yes Steak can be obnoxious and a blowhard at times, but the Mayhem group is still fun to listen too and Nick takes up for Bell being gone. If you do not like Dimino then why are you listening to a sports talk station?? He comes with strong opinions and stats that really entice the sports talk listener. Plus he compliments the rest of the team on the show. Bell, Hometeam, and Kang are awesome in the afternoon and it shows with the recent ratings showing that they had and how they are starting to pull people away from the now boring Buck and Kincaid. Plus I have XM and can’t stand any of the espn personalities and only listen to Sporting News radio and Fox Sports radio in the evening because frankly I like listening to local sports talk. I can only take so much of the Boston, NY, and Big Ten teams for so long. Also, so what if 680 has Leo and Dan Reeves? 790 has Tony Barnhardt, Wes Durham, John Smoltz, Brian McCann, Mark Bowman from MLB.com, Sal Palotonio, Ron Jarowski and others.

790 is not going downhill because they have a bunch of advertisers and seem to be doing well for a sports talk station in the ratings. Mayhem still beats RA and the Saloon is catching up on B&K. And the Mayhem crew doesn’t play anymore commercials than the rest of Atlanta radio. On a last note, someone mentioned that you cannot hear 790 outside of the Perimeter and Kincaid made some jokes about that to Chernoff when he was trying out. As a listener outside of Atlanta I can attest that 790s signal is very strong and I can reach it clear in the Rome/Cartersville area as early as 7am.

By pretty woman

August 26, 2008 4:53 PM | Link to this

I agree with jenna: Rob Tribble deserves to do more than updates.

By pretty woman

August 26, 2008 4:56 PM | Link to this

I agree with jenna: Rob Tribble deserves to do more than updates.

By pretty woman

August 26, 2008 4:56 PM | Link to this

I agree with jenna: Rob Tribble deserves to do more than updates.

By pretty woman

August 26, 2008 4:57 PM | Link to this

I agree with jenna: Rob Tribble deserves to do more than updates.

By Avery

August 26, 2008 10:45 PM | Link to this

Matt knows his stuff but he’s so pompous. I figured that’s why 790 let him go in the first place. His attitude won’t get him much further in this business. I agree 790 is going downhill. Steak needs to step aside, Dimino is a complete bore anymore and Nick thinks he’s the funny guy now. The show after them is just horrendous. I can’t believe that anyone with a shred of radio biz knowledge put these 2 on the air. Does Woolvey sound like a stammering idiot every single day or what? And Brandon, he’s just a wanna be talk show host who got a chance when management fell asleep at the wheel. Both are completely annoying. Steak needs to step aside for the betterment of the show/station. Steak, you are so difficult to listen to when all you do is talk family and that horrible Stats bar. We all know you are involved with it but pimping it every 12 seconds is the worst thing you can do for that place. Put an end to it before you run that place into the ground - along with your station.

By samantha

August 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Link to this

Jenna Rob tribble must be screwing you too

By samantha

August 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Link to this

Jenna Rob tribble must be screwing you

By francine

August 28, 2008 12:19 PM | Link to this

jenna and pretty woman so did rob screw you guys also?

By davidson

August 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Link to this

way to go for Chernoff. Good move Did he really dump his family?

By War EAgle

August 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Link to this

the 2 live idiots drove me from that station-I would have liked Rome, but, in listening to Steak, who is a bombastic A HOLE, it appears he preferred black morons to two old white Jewish guys, who knew their sports-just for the ratings. Steak, admit it, you wanted a black audience. Well yo got one and now the Majority have gone to 680 to listen to English being spoken and not Woofing and ebonics and the Praise obama bin laden crowd. I hope the Temple refuses to let you in during the Holy Days. You’ve destroyed the statioin and alienated your listeners. Real civil people do not listen to two barking africans. so they played football-big deal. So did Dan Reeves. Fire the two hoods from the hood and bring ROME back and maybe the majority will listen again. Get a clue Brisket!

By Mike

August 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Link to this

Glad to see Matt bounce back. Now I’ll actually have a morning show to listen to b/c I only listen to 790 out of habit. I like the Stews and the Afternoon Saloon, but I thought it was a bad move for 790 to ditch Matt. I’ll definitely take him over Steak and crew. Can’t really take Buck and Kincaide these days but now I’ll have a reason to listen to 680.

By me

August 29, 2008 5:34 PM | Link to this

Rod:

No news on the 1340 the ticket 2, or Jim Rome coming back to town?

By Mark

August 31, 2008 12:48 PM | Link to this

He should fit right in—-sexist/racist white boys that don’t know anything about sports.

By Ted Turner

September 1, 2008 10:28 AM | Link to this

What get’s me is when 790 throws that tag, “and breaking sports when it happens”. Really. When has a sporting event ever broken out? It should be …and breaking sports news when it happens.

And for the Stews. Being white, I used to listen to them to get some street cred, now I can understand most of it, and maybe that’s the point. And the powerful interviewing skillz keep me listening. Whenever Doug talks to anyone it sounds as if he’s surfing the net or watching traffic. Keep it unlocked.

By brian

September 2, 2008 11:48 AM | Link to this

Reality is that sports talk in Atlanta is not only biased, itís not very informative or entertaining - regardless of the station.

By just a listener

September 2, 2008 1:16 PM | Link to this

Whoa! What is with all the personal ads on here? Post to the topic, please!

By Sol

September 2, 2008 1:57 PM | Link to this

Does any of this really matter ? Sports talk in Atlanta stinks ! To be honest with you, I’d rather listen to Beau Boch five-days-a-week. Steak, you really should consider wearing the management hat, only.