Radio & TV TalkRadio & TV Talk

Access Atlanta > Entertainment > Radio Talk > Archives > 2007 > December > 19 > Entry

12/19: Cari Champion gets a 2nd chance (UPDATED)

cari_champion.jpg

Cari Champion (above), who may or may not have accidentally uttered a curse word over the air last month, lost her job Nov. 20 but after lobbying for the station publicly and privately, WGCL-TV is giving her a second chance.

She is back on the air January 7, but she will no longer do weekend anchor work. Instead, she’ll be a reporter with a 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. weekday shift, according to news director Rick Erbach. He declined to comment about the circumstances behind her firing or rehiring. (Actually, Erbach was mistaken, according to Champion’s attorney Dan Kolber Thursday evening. He said he negotiated a deal in which she got to return as weekend anchor.)

In mid-November, Champion said what some thought was a nasty profanity when she didn’t realize the mike was on. She later told Richard Prince of the Maynard Institute that she actually said “mothersucka,” but admitted even that was problematic. She said she made a mistake but felt she didn’t deserve to be fired over it. Based on the audio I heard, it could go either way.

At 11 p.m. Wednesday, I received a Blackberry message from her for the first time, but she didn’t want to talk until Thursday. Her attorney told her not to talk until things were clarified so I have yet to hear from her as of Thursday evening. He said she might call me later tonight. We’ll see.)

Here’s what she originally told Prince at the Maynard Institute:

“I was talking to my co-anchor during a commercial break. The floor director did not cue me or my co-anchor, and when it was time to tease an upcoming story, you could only hear us but not see us.

“My co-anchor and I were talking about a mechanical screenwriter. It is difficult to use at times. The last part of our conversation was silly banter and barely audible, but it was picked up. I called the screenwriter a ‘mothersucka’ not the f-bomb. I emphatically deny any attempted cover up of the mishap. In fact I was the one who brought it to the attention of the news directors. And, the beta tape, wherever it is, has conversation that clearly supports my position.”

Permalink | Comments (112) |

Comments

Commenting is now closed for this entry.

By Shavonne

December 19, 2007 5:57 PM | Link to this

Update…she’s back!

By thomas

December 19, 2007 6:02 PM | Link to this

Great decision, we all make mistakes and Ms. Champion took the appropriate steps to correct hers.

By Robert

December 19, 2007 6:21 PM | Link to this

I think Cari deserved a second chance if she has learned her lesson.We all make mistakes.We have all been fired from jobs.Some deservedly so.Some not.Should she have been?That was the decision.But she stood up for herself and it paid off.Earn it.As for you saying “MOTHERSUCKA”,I don’t know of anyone who actually “BLEEPS” themselves.

By Ripdog

December 19, 2007 6:26 PM | Link to this

You have to give somebody that fine another chance.

By Carl

December 19, 2007 6:29 PM | Link to this

Hi Shavonne, how are you doing. Call me, my number hasn’t changed.

By kevin f

December 19, 2007 6:33 PM | Link to this

If she was white she would of been fired for good and have the NAACP on her for slander.

By pedro

December 19, 2007 6:34 PM | Link to this

That’s great. Another fine example of an Atlantan not taking responsibilty for their actions and having a large enough ego to fight it. What a wonderful role model

By AfroDawg

December 19, 2007 6:43 PM | Link to this

Atlanta was an uglier place minus that dime piece. Thanks WGCL, the drought is enough, we don’t need pestilence too.

By Bobbi

December 19, 2007 6:49 PM | Link to this

Just what we need, a stupid racist ruining good comments about someone who DID take responsibility and doing the right thing, be overly punished; an injustice was made right. You ROCK Cari!!

By bubba4baseball

December 19, 2007 8:00 PM | Link to this

I normally don’t comment on such thing but white people have to understand……organizations like the NAACP and others would not exist if it wasn’t for oppression of non-whites by so call white people and their biblical, political and social infrastructure of bigotry. Every time something positive happens to someone black, in this case Ms. Champion, you have to bring in race where WGCL clearly in my opinion over reacted.

She deserves a second chance just like anybody regardless of race in this situation.

The next time you think of a comment like that Kevin F, just look in the mirror and think that people that look like me stole, imprisoned, murdered the original inhabitants of this country, enslaved, raped generations of non-white especially Africans, violated the teachings of Christ for monetary gain, imprisoned Japanese citizens during WWII, and expect the rest of the world to respect you.

As soon as we realize we are all of one race, human, we can move forward in this journey called life.

Congratulation Ms. Champion.

By Fred

December 19, 2007 8:10 PM | Link to this

Sorry Robert, not only have I never been fired from a job but I know plenty of productive people who have also never been fired from a job. I guess that makes ME stupid somehow………. but to the issue at hand: She’s a broadcast PROFESSIONAL (supposedly). The first thing you learn is that there is no such thing as an un-open mike, just like there is no such thing as an untapped phone call. Ask “Dog the bounty Hunter” lol. She did what she did and I’m not buying for one second that “motha sucka” thing. Class is something you can’t buy or pretend to have. My wife would NEVER have been in that predicament because open mike or not she is not gutter trash that talks like that.

The bottom line is that you can’t get “caught’ saying what you never said nor can you get busted for thinking what you don’t believe. Kinda deep eh? I mean she looks FINE so who cares about anything else right?

By The Truth

December 19, 2007 8:46 PM | Link to this

Hey ‘bubba’………..

as soon as the NAACP goes away, so will the well-deserved criticism they are receiving anytime they take an unethical side to any issue! Think about that.

By Bob Betterworts

December 19, 2007 8:47 PM | Link to this

This all about racial politics. If this black woman were a white man, she (he) would not be rehired. Any time a black person does something wrong, bad, illegal, in America, the cry racism, threaten a lawsuit, and then, predictably, get everything they want- as undeserved as that is. What a pathetic country we live in.

By Bob Betterworts

December 19, 2007 8:48 PM | Link to this

This all about racial politics. If this black woman were a white man, she (he) would not be rehired. Any time a black person does something wrong, bad, illegal, in America, they cry racism, threaten a lawsuit, and then, predictably, get everything they want- as undeserved as that is. What a pathetic country we live in.

By Bob Betterworts

December 19, 2007 8:48 PM | Link to this

By Jason Lively

December 19, 2007 8:50 PM | Link to this

IT’S CALLED THE ‘AL SHARPTON EFFECT’: BLACK MEN CAN DO NO WRONG, WHITE MEN CAN DO NO RIGHT!

By Iron Mike

December 19, 2007 8:53 PM | Link to this

To: bubba4baseball December 19, 2007 8:00 PM

You poor victim you. Bless your heart. I bet it’s really worse than you described.

Your reparations check is in the mail.

Did I say bless your heart?

By Let Freedom Ring

December 19, 2007 8:58 PM | Link to this

Kevin f if she was white she would NEVER had been fired in the first place.

By sedimenjerr

December 19, 2007 8:59 PM | Link to this

i didnt even realize she was an anchor

By Mel

December 19, 2007 9:01 PM | Link to this

She played the race card and won, as usual in Atlanta, a very racist city, where blacks get away with anything. If she had been white, she would have been fired on the spot and never rehired. Where can I get a deck of those race cards?

By FoOhFo

December 19, 2007 9:01 PM | Link to this

It’s all really simple to understand:

Mike really do love dogs. OJ didnít kill nobody. Barry didnít take steroids. Mayor Bill was framed. Meangelo really IS a team player. The CIA invented crack. Cari really did say “mothersucka”

Congratulation [sic] Ms. Champion.

By Sandi965

December 19, 2007 9:01 PM | Link to this

I’m glad she’s back. Fred when did you marry Mother Teresa. I’m so glad your wife has so much class. Obviously you don’t. I was raised to believe that everyone should get a second chance barring that they haven’t committed a murder, rape, or molestation. I also believe that if you haven’t done anything wrong then you fight. Grow up people and learn something call forgiveness. By the way Fred, push the right buttons and your wife will say those words, if she says she’s NEVER then she is a liar. Another thing I was taught never say never.

Congratulations on getting your job back Ms. Champion!

By Peter Hoover

December 19, 2007 9:05 PM | Link to this

Screw racisim. And I mean all racisim including black on white and reverse discrimination. I just to know what would be so wrong about an organizatikon being formed and supported called the NAAWP? I mean, why should so called minorities be entitled to such organizations?

By RC

December 19, 2007 9:06 PM | Link to this

Let me guess, she told them that unless she was rehired she’d file a civil rights lawsuit, get Jesse and Al to do a Jena 6 march, and go on a publicity tour crying about how racist her boss is.

And if you believe she didn’t drop the f-bomb, you are an idiot.

By Hardaway

December 19, 2007 9:10 PM | Link to this

Second chances are the BEST!!! Let’s ALL remember this and do the same for ALL people…….!!!Happy Holidays

By Robert F

December 19, 2007 9:10 PM | Link to this

She absolutely deserves a second chance.

By Sandi965

December 19, 2007 9:13 PM | Link to this

Black or white she should never have been fired. Imus shouldn’t have lost his job. I’m tired of this bull and I’m African-American. What about merit and performance. Yes there is racism out there but why is it always brought up for everything. Everything is not about racism. Somethings that happen to us, we’ve brought one ourselves. And if we think and know that the system doesn’t work the same for us then we need to adjust so that we are not scrutinized and stereotyped. I probably see things thru rose colored glasses. Bottom line she thought that she should fight and she did. Ms Champion never brought up racism, so why should we that are looking from the outside.

By ss

December 19, 2007 9:16 PM | Link to this

I really didn’t want to see her all weekend long anyway.

By DM

December 19, 2007 9:19 PM | Link to this

Who cares? No one watches Channel 46 news.

By WOW!!!

December 19, 2007 9:27 PM | Link to this

WOW!! I didn’t know Atlanta residents were as racist as you all seem. I guess the “OLD” south is still alive. I was contemplating moving to the south, but I do not want to raise kids in an environment where there is a such a White and Black issue. I guess in the north we are more diverse and the re-hiring of a black anchorwoman would not be a big issue. I was really shocked when I read the comments on this blog and as a “White Woman” I am disgusted. People grow up!

By ss

December 19, 2007 9:34 PM | Link to this

“WOW” it worked. - - We don’t WANT YOU to MOVE HERE ! ! ! !

By ss

December 19, 2007 9:34 PM | Link to this

“WOW” it worked. - - We don’t WANT YOU to MOVE HERE ! ! ! !

By S

December 19, 2007 9:38 PM | Link to this

“WOW” Why are you reading our paper anyway?

By TheRealTruth

December 19, 2007 9:38 PM | Link to this

By AfroDawg December 19, 2007 6:43 PM | Link to this Atlanta was an uglier place minus that dime piece. Thanks WGCL, the drought is enough, we donít need pestilence too.

Afrodawg, DELTA IS READY WHEN YOU ARE,please feel free to leave one of the hottest AFRO AMERICAN friendly US cities, try your luck in p** charlotte NC see how far you go.

By TheRealTruth

December 19, 2007 9:42 PM | Link to this

WOW!!! Please DO MOVE here, It is a great place to live!!! people like “ss” are such a minority and they are everywhere with sad little lives. The rest of Atlanta do not share such shallow intentions, even those like me born and raised here and love to see our grow more diverse! Come on down!

By ss

December 19, 2007 9:50 PM | Link to this

You aren’t fooling anyone Cari…. I mean “Real Truth”.

By hose68

December 19, 2007 10:05 PM | Link to this

I lived in the ATL for 40 years. I recently moved to St. Louis. This place is so much more racially segregated than Atlanta it is not even funny. And, I am sure more of the “north” is the same.

Don’t give me that the south is racist. That crap doesn’t fly. The south is much more integrated than any other part of the country.

By dawghater

December 19, 2007 10:07 PM | Link to this

Why does everything have to be racial? A white anchor punches a police officer in Philly and keeps her job. She also sends photos to a married anchor, keeps her job. A black anchor curses, gets fired. A black pilot with WXIA 11 get attack in the helicopter gets fired, a black anchor reports to a wrong location, get fired. Equal Justice, I think not….Itís about the ratings…

By Steve

December 19, 2007 10:18 PM | Link to this

You Mean …

Update: She’s Black …

By DM

December 19, 2007 10:19 PM | Link to this

Hey “WOW”, glad you aren’t coming…now if you could convince a couple million of your fellow yankees to move back where they came from , we could have Atlanta back.

By Mike

December 19, 2007 10:20 PM | Link to this

THEY ARE DOING IT BECAUSE SHE IS BLACK!!!!!!

By Dr. I.Q.

December 19, 2007 10:27 PM | Link to this

I couldn’t care less whether she comes or goes, but anybody who believes she said “mothersucker” is dumb as dirt.

It’s un-freakin’-believeable.

By Jon

December 19, 2007 10:33 PM | Link to this

Put her back as anchor. She did nothing wrong and I am a White Redneck. Why do stations do this crap to hard working people. Just asking?

By andy

December 19, 2007 10:35 PM | Link to this

Lets see when this african american screws up she deserves a second chance yet when Imus screwed up the same people wanted to ruin him!!! Imagine That!!!!!

By andy

December 19, 2007 10:37 PM | Link to this

African american screws up she get second chance Imus screws up the same people want to ruin his life and career!!!!

By bigdrew

December 19, 2007 11:00 PM | Link to this

Did someone say if she was white she would not have been rehired ? Where is Don Imus ? I think he is working.

By hot dog

December 19, 2007 11:27 PM | Link to this

Raise your hand if you believe Cari Champion said, “mothersucka” as she alleges! She has a potty mouth and she’s a liar.

By Keeping It Real

December 19, 2007 11:44 PM | Link to this

To Jimmy Ray Bob: Wow! Your name speaks for itself!!!!!

By Broadcasting 101

December 19, 2007 11:50 PM | Link to this

Hey Randy - the word is mic NOT mike!

By ro

December 20, 2007 12:06 AM | Link to this

Congratulations Cari! I have missed your presence on CBS 46. People, everyone deserves a second chance, regardless of race, color or creed. We have certainly become a derisive bunch in Atlanta. These blogs confirm that there are plenty of cowards who appear in the AJC blogs. For all those who must type commects that are racsist or call names, PLEASE GO AWAY!

By kevin f

December 20, 2007 12:22 AM | Link to this

Ooooops… I didnt think that all of atlanta would agree. This is not me being a racist this is me stating facts. I didnt own slaves and didnt do bad things to black people. Im 25 and have to deal with Black people thinking they are gods gift. I kinda wish i was black because i could do what ever I want and if i dont Ill call 1-888-jess-jak and sue for millions and blow it on useless crap.

All n All CBS knows it needs the black viewer since the ratio is 3 to 1 in atlanta. So congrats black people you won but remember carma. Mexicans are replacing you so fast. Yall just sit back and smoke crack and play football and the mexicans will replace all your jobs at kfc and for the city.

By Uncle Ruckus

December 20, 2007 12:44 AM | Link to this

AfroDawg said: “Atlanta was an uglier place minus that dime piece.”

I think you have her confused with Cynne Simpson.

By boman

December 20, 2007 1:19 AM | Link to this

My god people, black, white, asian, hispanic, not EVERYTHING is about race. She messed up, yes, but come on, we have people far more important than her do much worse. Ok, I don’t by the “mothersucka”, but at least she came half way clean… I am white, my daughter is hispanic, the reporter is black…what a great country we should have! Those who want her fired forever and say a white person would be …oh well! It has got to be put into perspective, she said a “bad” word, open mic, closed Mic, oh well.. What about CNN reporter who this past summer went to the bathroom with an open mic?? What about Imus??? Tell me what he said wasn’t far worse??? Get over it people, far more important issues out there…

By Sugar Water

December 20, 2007 4:20 AM | Link to this

If whites were on the other end of slavery and every other American embarrassment, their tune would be different. Racist whites create racist everything. Think about it,if whites weren’t such bullies since day one, people might trust you a little more but history says differently. History tells me to beware, my land, children, women, and well being will be priced out by the white race trying to capitalize off me. How the hell do you think America was founded, on lies from white men who think they are GOD’s gift to the world. When a new generation of white people outlive this genreation who keep passing racist views, then we might be able to start over. Bottom line is you started it and another race will finish it. African American, Mexican, or maybe the Native Americans will return and right YOUR wrong.

By Mr. Big

December 20, 2007 4:34 AM | Link to this

She’s been busted down to reporter. I give her less than 6 months before she’s outa here. After an anchor job, who would accept a reporter’s gig for long? A big cut in pay, back on the streets with the common folk… They’re just giving her a chance for a graceful exit.

By Ralph

December 20, 2007 4:40 AM | Link to this

The only one who constantly bring up the race card, live on the race card, take advantage of the race card, and milk the race card, to the last drop, and truly hate whites, browns and every other who aren’t of their same color, are the blacks. Every other word out of their mouth, when they don’t get what they want, is racism, they go out of their way, to look for trouble, and have a reason to hate. The American Blacks are spoil and know how to milk the system. People in this country are get feed up with, this has being going on for years.

By BJohnson

December 20, 2007 5:32 AM | Link to this

I don’t even know her but I did read people’s comments about if she was a white male…well it did happen here for those people who didn’t live here a couple of years ago. A white male anchor, I don’t wanna name the wrong one, did curse towards kids on location not realizing he was still on the air. He never got fired, he just apologized and I think he had a short suspension. So she’s not the first, she won’t be the last. If anything, she showed she was a human being who can make a mistake.

By catlady

December 20, 2007 5:56 AM | Link to this

Will she get a THIRD CHANCE? Because if that word is in her vocabulary, it will pop out again. What then?

And why is she being referred to as a “piece”? Not only racism going on here, but blatant sexism as well!

By Jazi

December 20, 2007 6:01 AM | Link to this

Actually, this whole country should be purged. Politically we’re a mess and socially we’re at a loss. It’s only a matter of time when we all will have to rely on each other.

We are all so consumed on what makes us tick we’re missing the big picture. It’s only us Americans that cannot stick together to achieve a common goal. Gas prices are sky high and we do not protest. We have sick and homeless in this country (not by choice) but all our government does is send billions of dollars overseas to aid other countries.

Get on track people. We’ve got bigger fish to fry.

By Carpetbagger

December 20, 2007 6:05 AM | Link to this

Low standards amongst certain groups of people will continue to keep them down. Their own worst enemy with their lack of accountability in their community. A joke at best, and it’s on them!

By stormy

December 20, 2007 6:30 AM | Link to this

I was just reading comments by BO-he must be an idiot, just because cari “looks fine” does not give her the right to be re-hired. If it were a white person, they would not be re-hired.with some men, it is all about looks , not smarts.

By Fist T. Cuffs

December 20, 2007 7:41 AM | Link to this

Do she kiss her mama wif that mouf? They was right to snatch that off the air.

By GeorgePBurdell

December 20, 2007 7:44 AM | Link to this

This isn’t about the woman’s race. This is about her shooting off her mouth around a live mike. Anybody who’s worked in broadcasting knows better than to utter anything around a microphone that shouldn’t be said on the air, whether the mic is live or not. DUH! She’s lucky she only got demoted.

By Bo from Bostwick

December 20, 2007 7:44 AM | Link to this

Hey Stormy,

Merry Christmas.

Bo

By BG

December 20, 2007 7:46 AM | Link to this

Anchorwoman: The Legend of Cari Champion!

By TPM

December 20, 2007 7:52 AM | Link to this

I am glad they gave Cari a second chance. We all make mistakes.

By THE TRUTH

December 20, 2007 7:54 AM | Link to this

Not once did she ever mention anything about race, nor did she blame anyone else, she admitted that she was wrong and she didn’t blame whitey. Jimmy Ray Bob you are an IGNORANT BUFFOON and I suggest that you don’t call anyone an ape or a name that you wouldn’t want anyone calling your mother.

By cruzin

December 20, 2007 7:56 AM | Link to this

Where is Rev. Sharpton when you need him? Never mind.. I just realized that Cari is black and the standards and expectations are lower for them than a white person. In the black community it’s always redemption when it happens to one of their own. When it happens to a white, the word redemption has no meaning.

By News Hound

December 20, 2007 8:01 AM | Link to this

Thank goodness they gave that mothasucka another chance

By ljrob

December 20, 2007 8:10 AM | Link to this

Hey Bob Butthead, to show how out of touch you are, last I heard Imus was back on the air.

By THE TRUTH

December 20, 2007 8:17 AM | Link to this

CRUZIN Don’t be ignorant it’s not becoming. Redemption knows no race, it’s just a word. Whenever someone has done something wrong it still lives in people’s minds whether they have been “redeemed” or not.

By cruzin

December 20, 2007 8:24 AM | Link to this

Imus is indeed back on the air. However, not with the same company, and he had to suffer a lot of public humiliation and beg Rev Sharpton for forgiveness. It’s clearly a set of different rules for blacks.

By JT

December 20, 2007 8:31 AM | Link to this

Playing the race card is a time honored tradition among blacks. If they don’t get what they want, they scream, “RACIST!” and people listen and alter their behavior. However, ask a black person if black people are capable of being racist and EVERY SINGLE one of them will tell you “NO, it’s not possible, you whiteys are the only ones who can be racist. And we’re going to take this country away from you and enslave you because that’s what you deserve.”

By cruzin

December 20, 2007 8:35 AM | Link to this

I am not ignorant. I have a clear view better than most. I happen to work with a majority of blacks. The standards are different. When a black uses illegal drugs and gets caught, its a hand slap, or its conveniently forgotten. When a white uses the same illegal drugs, its see yah…

By Tboy

December 20, 2007 8:36 AM | Link to this

She’s a nice girl. This little slip shouldn’t cost her so much, and I’m sure she’s learned from it. Let’s be real, this incident pales when compared to all the moneymaking filth on the networks.

By Brian G.

December 20, 2007 8:43 AM | Link to this

Let he that is without sin cast the first stone. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance.

By tggjen

December 20, 2007 8:45 AM | Link to this

Good grief people- Slavery was a terrible, terrible thing- but i’m pretty sure none of you were ever actually slaves since I don’t know of anyone living to the age of 140+. PLEASE stop using the crutches of your great great grandparents and walk on your own two feet.

By Telling it like it is

December 20, 2007 9:03 AM | Link to this

Now if the statement I work with a majority of blacks is not ignorant I don’t know what is. How noble of you to GENERALIZE the people you work with as being the representatives of every black person in America. As far as a handslap for a black person using illegal drugs tell that to the majority of African American men and women that are in jail now.

JT don’t even try it. There have been several times when black people have had to alter what they said because whtie people found it offensive. Reading these comments that I’ve seen that say blacks have played the race card is rediculous. The only people that have brought up the race card in this discussion are people that are not black and it’s obvious as to what race they are because they lower their standards and class by resorting to insults. Thus having to use the tired “Imusism” “nappy head hoe”.

Again I say “Don’t call anyone anything that you wouldn’t want someone calling your mother.”

Thank you. That’s all

By Be41963

December 20, 2007 9:10 AM | Link to this

It is a shame that we as a society have two SETS OF RULES. WHITES do not get a second chance, BLACKS get as many chances as it takes.

We as a society realistically have not come a long way since ‘63, but have actually fallen back. Oh!!! for the good ol days.

By Erik

December 20, 2007 9:11 AM | Link to this

Great, she’s getting a second chance. However that b.s. excuse of hers is right up there with “I didn’t inhale”, “I was only giving her a ride home” and “I always urinate with a very wide stance.”

By bubba4baseball

December 20, 2007 9:16 AM | Link to this

The historical oppression by whites, and its historical for you ignorant people has causes friction between all races. Most of the world hates white people, especially those affialiated with england, usa, france, etc. White people has a group that fight for the right of white people NAWP national association of white people aka KKK, arian nation, etc. Evertmme some black does something positive, ignorant white people claim reverse racism, etc. You don’t know my race, I could be white but I know this country and this world, and white people claim special treatment everyday, they are the majority in this country and have built the infrastructure to suit their majority numbers.

The only card whites have to play is Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, their undisputed legendary leader of the black race in their ignorant(white racist) minds. Does Dave Duke lead the white race?

I stated there is one race humann, and until we start treating all humans with respect we are doomed. NAACP and other organization exist because bigotry still persists, and white people stated this problem with their colonism, greed, racism.

Arguing with a bigot no matter what race they are, and there are black bigots that follow the path of satan just like white or other so called racist is foolish or folly.

You can’t change history but you can change the future. If you beleive in God, how can you hate humans. Satan is my enemy with its self imposed race theme, and we are all one race human.

Anybody that uses race to further their political, social and financial gain whether they claim black, white, brown status will have to deal with a higher power. black people are just following white people when they do this, we all breath the same air and act the same.

Congatulation Ms. Champion again.

By Conscious

December 20, 2007 9:22 AM | Link to this

The reference that Ho makes is not Richard “Price” it is Richard Prince of Richard Prince’s Journal-isms, which is an online column within the Maynard Institute website. Here is the link to the Champion at this site:

By bubba4baseball

December 20, 2007 9:30 AM | Link to this

Oh I forgot, Pat Buchannan wrote a two books day of reckoning and state of emergency and it illustration how race is dividing this country. I agree with many of his ideas in the book.

Iron Mike bless your heart also, I have already received my reparation check, its called salvation. I am not a blind fool like bigots that don’t understand for every action of bigotry there is a reaction. It must be tough for ignorant white people also, we can’t oppress like the good ol days.

This board can’t start an conversation w/o some bigot bringing up race and most of the time its so called white people envy of other people.

By Roz

December 20, 2007 9:35 AM | Link to this

Gosh! We are so judgemental of everyone else but ourselves. Remember we are all just one bad decision away from being fired,demoted or even a criminal record. If it were you you would want a second chance. So ease up, people! And it is not a black or white issue, it’s life we all blow it sometimes!

By M C Jones

December 20, 2007 9:36 AM | Link to this

This example only reinforces the fact that “what God has for you, is for you.”

By Debra

December 20, 2007 9:40 AM | Link to this

Wow, how sympathetic. What about Mike Vick, didn’t he deserve a second chance?

By Wes

December 20, 2007 9:43 AM | Link to this

When will white men realize they own the world. But I’ve never seen such a bunch of whiny cry babies in my life. “Oh woe is me, noboby gives me anything blah, blah, blah”. Who cares. I don’t blame WOW at all, Atlanta is NOT a very friendly town, especially when you have a bunch of suppressed white men who can only speak up in blogs or the Vent.

By race face

December 20, 2007 9:45 AM | Link to this

bubba4baseball,

you have some issues that you need to get rid of. When he made the comment about the NAACP, he was referring to the fact that anytime something happens to a Black person in the public, they have the NAACP, Jessie, Al, and the rest of them, running to their support, whether they were wrong or right. Your comments about what happend hundreds of years ago are ignorant, and in my opinion, spark more racism. Yes, you heard me, comments like the one you made, cause people to be more racist!! So stop making them please, then maybe we can ALL concertrate on being one race, Humans!!

By otis

December 20, 2007 9:53 AM | Link to this

No second chance of repeating “Mothersucka”. What was on her corrupted mind when she said that? This shows what kind of vocabulary she has. She has spent time in the “hood” or eatin to many Hershey Bars with Ray Nagin.

Let her go down to New Orleans and blend in with the rest of peoples

By atl

December 20, 2007 10:08 AM | Link to this

damn. do you folks in atlanta have brains? Every damn story somehow turns into a racial issue. what a pathetic bunch of people. you deserve each other.

By Mark G.

December 20, 2007 10:11 AM | Link to this

Kudos to Cari, and best of luck. This is a great story and example of sticking to your guns and standing up for yourself, as well as kudos to the station for being open minded and decent enough to give a person a second chance, in the media world it usually only happens if you are male, or of national stature.(see Imus, Howard Stern, and Martha Stewart) Hopefully the story will come full circle and she can earn her way back to the anchor position. everyone here is a winner and that makes for a happy ending in a holiday season.

By Aurora

December 20, 2007 10:16 AM | Link to this

Don’t we have more important issues to deal with? YAWN!!!

Who really cares? How does this affect ME? It doesn’t so move along.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

By Jen

December 20, 2007 10:19 AM | Link to this

Ms. Champion,

I wrote a letter to your boss in support of you. Enjoy your second chance, some people do not get one. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

By TT

December 20, 2007 10:28 AM | Link to this

The generalizations on these blogs are ridiculous. Everything doesn’t have to be broken down to race. There are examples on both sides where folks have lost jobs and redeemed them, lost jobs and didn’t, or never lost a job to begin with. If everyone was accountable for their own actions, i.e. “did what’s right” and tried to show a little compassion for the less fortunate, this would be a much better place and reading these blogs wouldn’t be so sad and depressing. It amazes me how blogs on the drought, traffic congestion and air quality can turn racial. There’s a pretty good book out there that encourages us to love thy neighbor…let’s read it!

By Hotlanta

December 20, 2007 10:29 AM | Link to this

I just wanna thank the 6 white boys for stealing over 100 cars in Cobb County.

I wanna thank the white coach for taking those kids around disturbing everyone’s yard decorations

I wanna thank the white man who was driving around with porn in his car and also had poster size photos in his home.

I wanna thank State Farm and all of those insurance agencies that refuse to pay the Katrina people but didn’t go to jail for thief by taking nor fraud.

The Award of the Year goes to Britney Spears sister who is showing the world that white teenage girls do get pregnant.

Honorable mention and the Maury Povich Award goes to Anna Nicole who had all of those men to come forth claiming to be the Baby Daddy.

By D@mn

December 20, 2007 10:39 AM | Link to this

Thanks ATL, you are absolutely correct. Every damn issue that comes up in an AJC blog turns to race! Can we get a break from racism on at least one blog!

By Dirk Pitt

December 20, 2007 10:42 AM | Link to this

Channel 46 has a news department?

By girllady

December 20, 2007 10:51 AM | Link to this

Maybe Gill Tyree will do us a favor and say mothersucka. My God he is terrible!!

By Gwen

December 20, 2007 10:58 AM | Link to this

I have heard the phrase used on a radio station. Youngblood uses it every Saturday.

But, I am glad to see her back. She will rise again.

By velvel in decatur

December 20, 2007 11:19 AM | Link to this

Yeah, I believe her. Yeah, I believe her. Yeah, I believe her. And WGCL gets its money’s worth at the $125.00 a week they pay her. And then Gil and Stephany and the gang will to put up with her and pretend that she knows what she is doing.

By velvel in decatur

December 20, 2007 11:21 AM | Link to this

By the way, is his name really “Ho?”

By Kip

December 20, 2007 11:32 AM | Link to this

MotherSUCKA??? Oh, come on! Who has EVER said that?? Admit it honey, you said the same thing only with an “F” and you KNOW it!

By caz1158

December 20, 2007 11:33 AM | Link to this

I’m glad she’s back (even though i’ve never seen her). one slip up should’nt cause her loss of employment (suspension,yes). But using the race card is so over used all over the USA.She was’nt originaly fired because she was BLACK,nor do I believe she originaly was hired because she was BLACK.Second chances are good,race baiting is bad! Happy Holiday’s!!!!

By john12

December 20, 2007 11:36 AM | Link to this

You can take the trash out of the ghetto but you can’t take the ghetto out of the trash!!!

By Getting huffy about it

December 20, 2007 11:53 AM | Link to this

All you fighters and backbiters are acting worse than the political candidates! You’re taking road rage to the internet and the blogs. Didn’t you have siblings to fight with when you were children and get it all out of your system?! I hope you all receive Peace on Parth and Goodwill to Wo/Men this season.

By Little Bobby B

December 20, 2007 12:20 PM | Link to this

BIG DEAL!! Move on. And they call this news.

By WellOva

December 20, 2007 12:21 PM | Link to this

This is amazing how other people are being brought into this isolated situation about one anchor that had a slip of the tongue. No one is perfect regardless of race.

Imus personally attacked a group & made a generalization about a team of women.

Who was this anchor directing her comments toward? Who did she single out? NO ONE? I guess there is your difference in the situations.

People stop taking everything so personally. When someone personally attacks another race, gender etc. - then this is racism. When someone makes a MISTAKE and says random words directed at no one - this is NOT racism.

Could be tourettes though…

By caz1158

December 20, 2007 12:33 PM | Link to this

I just went and checked out her photos. Whats the big deal,she’s not even Hot!!!! Lets go to more important issues like Brittany’s little sister being pregnant. Now she’s Hot!!!!!

By monique

December 20, 2007 12:36 PM | Link to this

Kevin F. You are RIGHT!

By Wake Up

December 20, 2007 12:52 PM | Link to this

I’m amazed by this blog & others in Atlanta. People here are so racially divided. Blacks & whites are looking at each other as the enemy. The enemies are the U.S. government & big corporations. You people who are voicing all this racial hostility are not holding the fat cats accountable.

You people need to wake up, read about current events that matter & follow the money & you will see the big picture. Black, white, asian, latinos, africans, eastern europeans are all pawns in this game.

I don’t believe for a minute this woman said mothersucka. But, nonetheless, it was slip & I think she deserves a second chance. I’m willing to bet everyone on this blog has at one time make a slip of the tongue. This situation is not one of race but a bunch of racists - black & white trying to make it about race.

By Dre'

December 20, 2007 12:54 PM | Link to this

I still love Dagmar Midcap

By Wake Up

December 20, 2007 1:15 PM | Link to this

ms. bell - been there, done that. Lived there for 4 years. Had no problems with race. I’ve come across more racists here in Atlanta. Are you a racist since you feel “we Blacks” would just love the South?